• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

overclocking i5-2500k on P8Z68-v pro/gen3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

qqslumber

So this is my first time overclocking my system and I want to get some input from others, like things I should take note of, change, etc.
After looking at various threads/guides, I've settled with these settings and am now running a stress test:
4.5ghz
VCore: 1.31v
LLC : Ultra High
CPU Current Capability: 130%
Phase and duty controls: Extreme
EPU Power Saving: Disabled
VRAM Frequency manual: 350

The test has only been running for a couple of minutes and hitting max temps of 66C.
I'll update again after an hour or two.
How long should I run this test for? Anything else I should know?

1:40 has gone by and max temps at 68C. Is that too high?

Last edited:
Yes, prime95 blend mode
edit: added images

Edit#2:
well one of the workers failed. I'm going to assume I should up the Vcore higher?
I'm going to try 1.32v, if I should be doing something else please let me know.

Last edited:
Alot of people let it run for hours on end, I mean like 12-24 hours.. Some just a few hours and some just few mins.. Are you plaining on gaming for like hours on end are you?? IF so let it run for how ever long you would put a load on your CPU.. Thats how i do it and it works good for me that way. :D

ahh, I see thank you.

Couple questions that I have now.
Since one of my workers failed, I now raised Vcore to 1.32 was that the right approach or could I do something differently next time?
I've noticed that on idle my speed is pushed to the max at 4.5. Is this normal now/after? Should I turn off an option in the bios after I find stability? if so what option(s)?

Get it stable first then turn back on the power saving features. I would try more vcore like you are doing.

Essentially, time is really a personal preference sort of thing. You can also try Intel Burn Test, which stresses the CPU harder, so in theory you should be able to detect errors faster (or so the writers claim).

ahh Thanks for the input.

Update: I think I'm going to stop here.
4:30 hours blend test has been passing so far no fails.
Vcore: 1.32v
Max temp peaks at 68C, good/too high?

Back