• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Phenom 2 x4 945 BSoD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

atanil

Hi, this is my first time overclocking. I have CPU AMD Phenom 2 x4 945 3.0GHz, MB Gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4P and Noctua NH-U12P SE2.
I tried to increase FSB from 200 to 230 but after few minutes running Prime95 i get BSoD.
Core temperatures are under 50°C.
I left everything else on auto and it automaticaly reduced HT Link multiplier from 10x to 9x.
Do I have to change something else for it to be stable?

What are the current DRAM frequency, timings, and DRAM voltage at a HT ref clock of 230MHz, and what's the EXACT model including quantity of RAM installed?

Edit: ... and post the EXACT error in the BSOD.

Last edited:
Please download and install CPU-z. Then attach pics or screen captures of these three program interface tabs:

CPU

Memory

SPD

That will tell us tons of info about your hardware and your bios settings.

To attach a pic, click on Go Advanced at the bottom of any new post window. When the advanced post window appears, click on the paperclip icon at the top.

We don't recommend using the automatic overclocking genies in bios or the Windows-based overclocking programs. Using all manual adjustments is the way to go.

I played with it a little and changed FSB to 220, HT Multi manualy to 9x and decreased DRAM Frequency.
This is stable so far, but when i increase FSB to 230 I get BSoD immediately after starting stress test(I will get photo of BSoD tomorrow).
Core Temps are 50°C during stress test with FSB 220.
Do you think I can get it higher then 220?

Attachments

• OC.png
    OC.png
    44.5 KB · Views: 110
Probably/maybe if you relax the dram timings to 8, 8, 8, 22, 31 2T.
And bump the dram voltage up to 1.55V for a little added stability.
I would also give the CPU/NB a bump in voltage to about 1.225 for a little extra oomph on the IMC.

Your frequencies are all appropriate. None of the should be causing instability at this point. What is causing your instability is the low CPU core voltage at 1.312v. You need to increase that to support the higher frequency. If core temps and CPU temps remain cool enough, you can safely increase the CPU core voltage to 1.5-1.55 - but not all at once. Do it gradually, test and monitor temps as you make voltage and frequency changes in increments. You want to not let core temps exceed about 55- 57c and CPU temps maybe 65-67c.

Also, disable Cool N Quiet and C1E in bios. Then go into Windows Control Panel Power Options and set that to High Performance. That should disable all the "green" power saving technology that makes voltages and frequencies fluctuate wildly and that can sabotage overclocking.

As RGone suggested, you may also need to relax the timings according to what you see under JEDEC #3 as you are approaching that frequency level. Your current timings are appropriate for the JEDEC #3 frequency and you have exceeded that now. With ram timing, bigger numbers mean more relaxed timing. As frequency increases timing needs to relax.

I managed to get stable FSB 230 (attachment) and then tried to increase it to 240 along with core voltage and NB voltage (DRAM voltage was 1.6V from the begining) but I still get errors in Prime 95 (at least it is not BSoD) and core temps go up to 56°C after few minutes, so I think FSB 230 is as far as I can go.
I have only one question about HT Link: should I leave it at 8x as it is now, or should I increase it to 9x(2070MHz)?

Attachments

• OC230.png
    OC230.png
    36.4 KB · Views: 106
Your vcore is too low for more increase of the CPU frequency but you have run out of headroom from a temp standpoint it sounds like and you won't be able to add more vcore until you get better cooling. The temp issue could be due to poor case ventilation rather than an inadequate CPU cooler, however. What make and model case do you have. As a courtesy to those helping you it is time for you to put your system info in a "Sig" so that it travels with every post you make. At the top of the page click on Quick Links and click on Edit Signature. You can refer to mine if you wish for a guide.

Have you done any research on how overclockable that CPU is? What are other people maxing it out at using air cooling? You may be getting close to "the wall".

I have updated my sig.
I have found some OC threads with water cooling, but none with air cooling so far.
However I think FSB 230 is enough for now, I am thinking about buying better CPU anyway (probably Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition).

Back