• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Terrible idle/load temps with default settings/cooling AMD Phenom II X4 98

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Johnhenry

Registered
Got given a AMD Phenom II X4 980 upgrade from an AMD Athlon ii x2 270 and I am getting really high temps in idol and prime95 test with everything on bios load optimized defualts options, cpu was put in with good thermo paste and is seated properly is my stock amd cpu fan and heat sink and 2 case fans not enough to run this just on defualt with no overclock is my motherboard/cooling that trash?

terribletempsidol.jpg

on fire

POSMB.jpg

the motherboard isnt that old and nothing is overclocked why are the TMPIN2 temps so high and is that the nortbridge heatsink or the VRMs in this pic

ignore the large fan stock amd cpu fan is now on heatsink

20171102_102530.jpg

Got given a AMD Phenom II X4 980 upgrade from an AMD Athlon ii x2 270 and I am getting really high temps in idol and prime95 test with everything on bios load optimized defualts options, cpu was put in with good thermo paste and is seated properly is my stock amd cpu fan and heat sink and 2 case fans not enough to run this just on defualt with no overclock is my motherboard/cooling that trash?

the motherboard isnt that old and nothing is overclocked why are the TMPIN2 temps so high and is that the nortbridge heatsink or the VRMs in this pic

ignore the large fan stock amd cpu fan is now on heatsink

View attachment 194663

Well, for 1. it's "idel" not "idol" :)
and 2. that is the VRM's you have circled.

You may want to upgrade that CPU cooler to something with more cooling muscle like https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAE306HE3063 it is AM3/AM3+ compatible.

Well, for 1. it's "idel" not "idol" :)
and 2. that is the VRM's you have circled.

You may want to upgrade that CPU cooler to something with more cooling muscle like https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAE306HE3063 it is AM3/AM3+ compatible.

Its "idle"...though im sure that was a typo. :)

That was a good one!

BAck on topic: you can certainly undervolt this CPU (1.35v should do for 3.7GHz, maybe a bit less).

And well, stock cooler sucks... Could grab a 212Evo for 20 bucks; Long term investment anyway.

The *new* CPU is 125 watts and your old CPU was 65 watts. The heat sink that you have on there looks small for a 125 watt CPU. I concur with Whitehawk's assessment about the cooler. His spelling is another matter entirely.

I think that you need a beefier cooler and some good thermal paste. You can get good low cost coolers like the Cooler Master 212 but do not skimp on the thermal paste.

Not the greatest motherboard for an X4 980. You would do well to put a spot fan blowing on the VRM area. You might also see if you can keep it stable while lowering the vcore. But I agree with the others. Your biggest issue is the puny CPU cooler.

I have some heat issues with my VRM (Only when above 3.9Ghz OC). That is my board beeing "normal" in terms in performance and that often means VRM gets hot due less load split and lack of cooling.
Though, I run perfectly fine unless I really OC my CPU hard. Using AIO colling doesn't help the VRM much either as no air is blown over it from the CPU fan. You do have a a fan there though.

I agree with Tir Na, VRM respons good to voltage decrease and it would also lower CPU temps abit.

New Cooler would be good. You did apply new thermal paste and put it down and not wiggle it up and down to fit it? That can mess with the paste and give poor heat transfer.

Alternative would be to get some fan on that heatsink and check that your fans are operating at good speeds to get that hot air out.

Also, basic stuff - but you are sure that you have a fan blowing air out back\top and front take cold air in?

Back