• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with Intel Build!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shiki

Registered
Could you list all the parts? Clicking a lot of links is hard for mobile users.

You said second card for quad SLI, so I'm going to assume 690s. Keep in mind that scaling is pretty terrible on the 4th GPU. You're better off going with three higher clocked GTX680s, IMO. Also, something that extreme, you BETTER be multiscreen gaming, so you'd want the 4GB version of the 680s. 690 says 4GB, but it's still 2GB per core.

Well I am going to be splitting it up, and yeah. I will be doing a lot of that sort of thing.

I rather have 2 690's if possible, eventually I might want to split them between two builds.

EVGA Signature 04G-P4-2692-KR GeForce GTX 690 4GB 512-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Kingston HyperX SH100S3B/120G 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) (HyperX Upgrade Kit)

Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I73770K

ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 LGA 1155 Intel (ATX)

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory

COOLER MASTER HAF X RC-942-KKN1 Black Steel/ Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case

COOLER MASTER V8 RR-UV8-XBU1-GP 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler Intel Core i7 compatible

SeaSonic Platinum-1000 1000W ATX12V / EPS12V 80 PLUS PLATINUM Certified Full Modular Power Supply

I think that is everything. . .

I never really liked the V8 coolers, a hyper 212 evo in a push pull i think does just as well. But with the Haf X case, I'd go H100 in a push pull, that case will easily handle it.

Oh are you doing Nvidia surround 3+ monitors or 1 1080p monitor? if your doing only 1 monitor, a single 690 will do, you could probably get by with a single 680 if your singal monitor gaming, unless you got one of the new high resolution monitors.

Right now i am using 2 Asus 23 LCD LED 2ms.

I intend to get a third within next couple of weeks. But I do want a 5+ monitor setup. I want nothing to do with AMD.

That is undecided. My mobo can't run two cards in x16. Would this be a problem?
Isn't 3 card SLI really hard to get working? Having to edit things in registry?

First build for me, just did part lists for friends to help them.

3 way SLI shouldn't be any different than 2 way SLI. Video cards are approx the bandwidth of PCIe 3.0 x4/PCIe 2.0 x8.

What would make 2 GTX 690's not work too well? :3 If i have to i'll just SLI two 680's.

At this point am not 100% concerned over price, week and a half i'll be ordering my case, mobo and processor. Then loading crappy parts into it until i buy everything other than the GPU. With triple SLI how is cooling? In all honesty, i dont typically multi monitor game simply because i lack better monitors, Eventually I'll be building a new setup for that, so this one is mainly for welp. Basic stuff, graphic design, Audio rendering, gaming at max settings on one monitor at a time, but loading up 2-3 different games. Botting 4-8 games at a time on min settings. Pretty basic stuff.

Games are using more vRAM nowadays. 2GB per core might not be enough on high multimonitor resolutions.

If your spending this much...why not watercooling it?

A few reasons, 1. I've never put together a computer before. 2. It makes it so much scarier if it happens to get a leak. When i am more experienced i plan on it!

I really dislike HDMI, so I'm looking for a setup that will let me run at least 4 monitors in DVI.

You have a lot of preconceived notions, lol. HDMI is DVI+Sound. You'll end up running DVI, HDMI, and DisplayPort.

Looking at the build, I think you can get a better motherboard than the sabertooth and save some money to (don't get me wrong, it is still a good motherboard with a solid warranty).

I have to agree with Knufire on the topic of VRAM. If you are going for a 5+ monitor setup for gaming, VRAM is going to heavily play into this. You may be able to quad SLI 4 of the 4GB 680s but I am not sure how much you will gain from this. Honestly, a 3 monitor setup for gaming would work fine on two 690s or a 3-way sli of 680s and would still be practical for multimonitor gaming. I will let others weigh in on this since I have not worked with anything along the lines of a 5+ monitor gaming setup yet.

That CPU cooler may hold the mild overclock you are looking for but I really wouldn't recommend it. For the money you are spending here, I would definitely say that you should consider something "beefier." Take a peek at the Phanteks coolers for better options on air. You should consider liquid cooling this setup after fully reading the stickies and doing your research on the subject. It is good that you aren't diving into it having not built a computer from scratch yet! :)

Your PSU can deffinitely be swapped out. 1000W is more than you need for this build. 850W would be still over what you need but should provide a bit of headroom.

Can't say much on the case but I have heard good reviews about it from others so you should be safe there. You may want to look into extra fans for it (I see there are a couple spots for optional fans) to increase your airflow.

Noticed you didn't have a hard drive listed. You might want one to store all the music files other media you will be using.

Everything else looks pretty good and this should be a very solid build.

SSD:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820139602

Kingston HyperX SH100S3B/240G 2.5" 240GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) (HyperX Upgrade Kit)
I have a 2tb external i use for all media storage.

I know that one gtx 690 would be pretty intense on it's own. Two would allow me to split them if i ever need two computers. Here is an example of what i was running before i got my second monitor:
2012-06-22%252009.22.49.jpg

The desktop is synergy server, Laptop client. Shared Mouse / keyboard / sound.

Down side, cannot drag programs from one computer to another, however. Allowed for better multi tasking due to having access to two computers as resources. I may do something like this in the future with two desktops and run 8 monitors.

2012-07-06%252000.12.01.jpg

This is my current setup, Picture was taken to show a few friends. But yeah I'll be using 3 monitors for a considerable bit of time but i do want to get more eventually. Would 1 gtx 690 do me for now? I will eventually get a second.

What is a better mobo? I do intend to overclock and that mother board has really nice aesthetic look and feel to it.

Unsure, Most likely a purple ish, I do intend to alter that case by changing the fan LED if i can. It mostly depends on the artjob i decide to pay for :3 But Blue / purple is optimal.

I will go with blue since I do not know of any purple motherboards. Give me a sec to go see what I can do for a good SLI setup.

Back