• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 8 RTM on Technet when?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JeremyCT

I've played with Windows 8 twice now, but always gave up as it was missing important features. With RTM predicted for early August, when do you suppose that'll show up on Technet? Same time it does to the disc presses, early to mid August?

Taking bets on RTM release now. :D I say August 3, 2012.

[Whoever tells you anything other than first week of August cannot be certain, since Microsoft themselves don't know which day of the first week it will be -- it depends on the state the latest build is in just before they put the RTM stamp on it.]

It should be available from one of the official Microsoft subscription sources soon after that stamp gets put on the last build next week.

Beware of leaked RTMs as they may come with malware already built into the OS and Checksum numbers can be forged -- there's no way to verify leaked RTM is the same as RTM downloaded from TechNet, Microsoft Assurance or MSDN.

Last edited:
TechNet availability will be plastered on the front page of every single computer web site as soon as it happens and it's a good bet that there'll be a thread about it on this forum, probably only a few seconds after Steve Balmer himself finds out about it. ;)

Check out the thread time stamp here :D http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=710194

TechNet availability will be plastered on the front page of every single computer web site as soon as it happens and it's a good bet that there'll be a thread about it on this forum, probably only a few seconds after Steve Balmer himself finds out about it. ;)

Check out the thread time stamp here :D http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=710194

lol, excellent point. I'll just sit back and watch for it like I should. Patience is a virtue I only possess on random occasions.

I stand corrected, Windows 7 RTM was also released on a Wed so tomorrow may be the day....

August 15th, 2012.

Anything leaked before then is not official.

Beware of leaked RTMs as they may come with malware already built into the OS and Checksum numbers can be forged -- there's no way to verify leaked RTM is the same as RTM downloaded from TechNet, Microsoft Assurance or MSDN.

I just want to remind people of this little fact. I read that some version of Windows 8 hit torrents today.

It did hit a lot of trackers. And it seems to be a legit MS ISO.

I am really tempted to give it a look. I was bored and decided to secure erase the drive, without even backing up anything from Windows (remember my "important" data, say %USERPROFILE% is in a RAID 5), might install this instead of my Win7.

Out of curiosity, does it include ReFS?

Last edited:
I'm eager to try this on an old netbook we have, which I guess I can apply a reg fix for the 1280x600 display. If anyone gets confirmation of an official uninfected release being available (prior to the 15th) please PM me. :) I'll have access to the msdn on the 15th through work so I'm not in THAT much of a hurry...

...official uninfected release being available (prior to the 15th)

There is no such thing as official release before the 15th. I would wait for the 15th and only install a copy you *know* came off of TechNet.

Leaked OS is not like installing an application which may or may not have malware detectable by anti-virus scanners because leaked Operating System may have malware already built in.

I've got a question.

If I download and install a TechNet ISO from a torrent or any other similar service, for Windows 8 Pro, will I be able to activate it with a Windows 8 Pro license I buy when it gets released?

I've got a question.

If I download and install a TechNet ISO from a torrent or any other similar service, for Windows 8 Pro, will I be able to activate it with a Windows 8 Pro license I buy when it gets released?

If their activation strategy with win8 is similar to win7, then yes - most dics for win7 activated with whatever version key you had.

What makes the installation 'official'? There is nothing you can do to confirm it. You can't do file size comparisons, you can't do checksum number comparisons - those can be faked.

There is nothing you can do other than trust a friend or relative who has access to MSDN or TechNet or Microsoft Assurance program or similar. Those are not available for another ten days. All else is rolling the dice.

Also, I would not test drive a new operating system solo. Dual boot so that if things don't work, you can go back to the old OS quickly.

My main OS is Arch, and that's never leaving the SSD. Just that I was bored and decided to secure erase the drive. Clonezilla'd Arch partitions, but didn't care to backup Windows'.

The only reason I have Windows is because games were usually better there. Steam is porting Source to Linux. That's enough for me, it's the only thing I play daily, but sure there'll be some games I want to play once in a while, that's why I keep Windows there, to work as a Wintendo.

I don't need the Wintendo now, because I'm busy learning German this summer, and I only play some games like "The Powder Toy" or "Minecraft" once in a while.

IF I get it, it will only be through a MS source.
Then I'll probably just grab a spare drive off the shelf and install it there to toy with.

I personally wouldn't trust a copy from a torrent-upload site.
I have seen the "New" W8 releases on several link type sites but won't bother with them.
I have even seen some comments warning people that since it hasn't been officially released yet that downloading the file is at their own risk.
Since I'd have to buy a key to activate anyway, I will only get it from a MS source.

Back