• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 8 RTM on Technet when?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm just going to add my voice to the list of people saying don't get this except from a trusted source - i.e. don't download some torrent from somewhere and certainly don't get this before it's officially released.

Shouldn't need saying, but I get the sense that some are thinking about it.

I burned it to disks but haven't had time to install it yet. I plan on cloning one of my laptops drive, then using that to play with. When I'm done I'll just put the original drive back in. I love spare parts.

Just got done installing the trial 32bit on my netbook. It's going to take a while to get used to the interface, but I see it's benefit for tablet use. Frankly, for a desktop it's more work to get from A-->B in the manner I'm acustomed, so I obviously don't like it. Otherwise, only changes I saw worth noting is an improved task manager... and... well, nothing. It's Windows 7 with a new gui.

Yeah... I'll pass.

Looking forward to using it on my next tablet or home theater PC. Otherwise useless.

And there's absolutely zero reasons they couldn't just opt you in/out of the new interface. ******* move by M$ IMHO.

Pinky - what's the display resolution of that netbook and did you have any issues at all getting it installed?

That's how I felt about it with the earlier version. I'm going to give it a try to at least say I gave it a fair chance.

I got as far as getting it to boot into desktop bypassing metro and passwords. See my thread in ms section. It can look like windows 7. Little work to set it up then image the os partition, that's all. Easy for us, nightmare for everyone else.

Windows 8 default setting is great if you have a touch screen or one of those 'for fun' devices or if you are 12. :D

EDIT: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=714656

Last edited:
Pinky - what's the display resolution of that netbook and did you have any issues at all getting it installed?

Default is 1024x600, but I installed the intel driver for the 945 express gma chipset from intel's website and applied a screen resolution registry trick to allow me to set the display to 1024x768. It doesn't look awkward and is very useable.

Unless I find a real need I probably stick with Windows 7 indefinitely. But it's good to know Win8 can be hacked to looked 'normal'. I simply did this install to make sure I wasn't missing something.

We expect that, yes. I can do a same system multi-boot comparison once I set everything up the same as my Windows 7, so I can do a direct boot comparison.

:eek::eek::eek:

Started moving everything to Windoze 8, all of the sudden this popped up =

W8.BSOD.SIGH.01.jpg

Acronis True Image 2010 caused this error. Windoze 8 is a big yawn. I would welcome a change in philosophy with MS.

This is the best information you can give an individual, a txt smiley face? For real? Apple / Linux better capitalize on this nonsense. It's not cute when you can not rely on your OS for stability.:-/

You can't run software incompatible with Windows 8. Vista would not run some Windows XP software, Windows 7 either. Then software makers made patches / new versions compatible with new OS.

Just today I was looking at Comodo Firewall and sure enough the version on their official download page does not work with Windows 8.

But they made a Windows 8 compatible one here, just to cover the time before new version compatible with Windows 8 is officially released.:
http://forums.comodo.com/news-announcements-feedback-cis/cis-512-for-windows-8-t86289.0.html

On other words, you can't install all old software under Windows 8, this has been the same for every major OS transition since Windows 3.1 and before.

On other words, you can't install all old software under Windows 8, this has been the same for every major OS transition since Windows 3.1 and before.

Sure, but a frowny smiley face? This is what we are concentrating on?

Oh, yeah, you are correct. Huge $$ is lost due to Microsoft hiring people with no sense of style.

The other day I saw a cell phone add. It made no mention of any performance characteristics or anything else other than that it "now comes in white" :screwy:. $$ is lost because people in charge at MS refuse to acknowledge that these things are important.

So a frowny face is the new BSOD? It told you at the bottom that the problem was with MEMORY_MANAGEMENT, and I'm moderately certain (but please confirm) that Win8 will present the BSOD information to you on reboot, just like Win7 does. If you need more info, you'll go to the error logs and the memory dump. Again, just like Win7.

I fail to see the scandal here.

well the install went fine... no issues on my c2d laptop . its windows 8... no way im using this for a desktop environment. Changes in usability are nill from the betas to the rtm. there is literally "no" difference.

That stated, if the surface rt releases at 200 bucks... i might be pressed to buy it!

If you need more info, you'll go to the error logs and the memory dump. Again, just like Win7.

I fail to see the scandal here.

I have become increasingly upset with the direction of MS and sometimes emotion clouds my judgement and frees up my rant hormone.

Tech has been changing dramatically and I dont see MS picking up the slack. Sure they have Azure, HPC, SQL, Office, a considerable enterprise footprint, but I still see the same themes in their OS's.

"MEMORY_MANAGEMENT" is just silly, and now I have to go and download the symbols + the stupid WinDBG program + %someotherlameutility%. Why is this rocket science? Why do we expect and/or tolerate these issues?

I would like to see progress, and to be quite honest, Surface/Windoze 8/Skype, just feel like hail mary's to me. Of course, MS will make their money (dont forget their Android patents), but just feel like their lack of innovation will contribute to their eventual demise. Changing the logo? Really? This serves what purpose?

Just think their heads are in their arse.:bday:

After just a few days with the trial I dumped Windows 8 and went back to Windows 7 for my netbook (even managed to solve prior wifi issues, so I'm doubly happy). The interface and subtle changes weren't enough to impress me, and they mostly aggravated me. It's Windows 7 with a lousy GUI and when that crappy GUI is turned off... it's just Windows 7. Can't say whether 7 or 8 run faster, but I know my use of the netbook as a Windows 7 machine is much smoother, more efficient, and ultimately 'faster'.

Vista suffered from slow 3rd party tech (drivers, apps) adoption which marred its release, and as a result many compared it to Windows ME. But I feel that Win8 is much more a "ME" and I think we're about to see a zero embrace by the desktop and laptop community for Windows 8, and it will end up only being a Tablet/Touch Interface OS. Otherwise there's no news and no compelling reason to go through the hassle of leaving Windows 7. The lack of advances at least explains the proposed low pricing. With the logo change it's obvious to me at least that M$ is expecting failure and trying to stave it off as best they can. "Hey, look at the shiney new logo! It's proof we're changing!!!!!"

Last edited:
Back