• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Google Fiber

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You mean more than current providers? I think this is a great thing.

I'm with thiddy on this one. Great news for consumers, horrible news for cable monopolies etc. Your privacy is already gone, this won't change much :p

i seen this a little bit ago on stumbleupon seems pretty sweet wonder how many years until it gets to rural america lol 1gb\s down seems legit :D

LIKE! too bad most of what we attach to wont come close to giving us those speeds but still...

Not only is the 1Gbit down/up great for $70/month, the pricing is on par with what a lot of cable companies are charging for 25-30Mbit. And on top of that for the construction fee of $300 to your home, you get 5Mbit down and 1Mbit up for free, no monthly bills.... Cable companies are going to hate Google for this xD

At least for once a company is stepping up to rid the country of such limited internet resources available compared to countries like Japan.

Nothing is free...

Sorry to look gift horse in the mouth, but I still wonder what is the catch... surprised I am the only one questioning this

The catch is - it's google. They will keep your browsing habits etc.. and use it to target ads. Only on this kind of connection it won't require you to be logged in to your google account.

It will in the end mean more revenue for them for using their targetted ads - which I would bet is why they can offer it at $70 p/m.

(Note: I'm speculating but I'll wager I'm near correct)

The catch is - it's google. They will keep your browsing habits etc.. and use it to target ads. Only on this kind of connection it won't require you to be logged in to your google account.

It will in the end mean more revenue for them for using their targetted ads - which I would bet is why they can offer it at $70 p/m.

(Note: I'm speculating but I'll wager I'm near correct)

Minus the targeting adds, your local ISP already does this, as thiddy pointed out. Every ISP has different levels of packet logging these use, but if any ISP wanted they have access to it all. Also for targeted ads, you know you can just opt out in your google settings, and set the "do not track" cookie in firefox or chromium.

Minus the targeting adds, your local ISP already does this, as thiddy pointed out. Every ISP has different levels of packet logging these use, but if any ISP wanted they have access to it all. Also for targeted ads, you know you can just opt out in your google settings, and set the "do not track" cookie in firefox or chromium.

I get that - but with the connection straight to google what makes you think they won't? It's not at the cookie level when you're running directly through google as an ISP.

I'd be reading the contract veeerrrryyy carefully if I were given the opportunity to get this service (In Australia... hahahahaha I'm funny.)

They can collect data on me all they want. Adblock Plus makes sure that I never see a single ad. :shrug:

Honestly speaking, I'd rather Google have my data than Verizon, Comcast, AT&T, etc.

They can collect data on me all they want. Adblock Plus makes sure that I never see a single ad. :shrug:

Honestly speaking, I'd rather Google have my data than Verizon, Comcast, AT&T, etc.

Until they start selling that information to companies that will go through other means to advertise to you...

Someone once made the point that we, as in the people that use google's services, are not their customer, rather the product that is delivered to their customers(companies buying ads and so forth).

This just seems like they are not only going to get paid for their product but have their product pay them too.

Last edited:
My argument still stands: Don't other companies do that already? I'd trust Google over other companies any day, unless they prove themselves untrustworthy.

that will go through other means to advertise to you...
Like what? I don't pay for nor watch TV, but I do understand I'm in the vast minority here. The only medium they have to get to me is mail (ha!) and the internet. The later is incredibly easy to filter ads from and there are huge lists that are constantly updated to automatically to do it for me.

EDIT: If you mean people in general, I can see your point. I took "you" too literally.

The whole argument of advertising, privacy, etc. aside (which I will contend will be identical to everything else today), my question is when will this roll out everywhere. Two Kansas Cities...hardly vast metropolises. More than likely much easier to get their own fiber laid if in fact they don`t lease it. And given the price, it`s probably the case.

Also...
Google has not discussed plans to expand its Fiber offering beyond Kansas City.

When would Chicago, NY, LA get it? London? Any other large city? If it`s purely a local thing, while it`s great that they`re doing it, it`s an exercise in futility and just shows the current and forseeable future state of our ISPs. It`s a small demographic, one that`s easily supportable from an infrastructure perspective. Do this in one of the aforementioned cities and you`ll bring that ISP to its knees.

google already has all our information they know you better than you know yourself ;) lol

1+

Goodbye monopolies. :attn:

Goodbye monopolies, hello monopoly.

What do you think is going to happen when the entire country has free internet provided by one company? You guys all trust Google now.

Google has a lot of power and doesn't do anything too bad with it. That doesn't mean they'll stay that way when they have

all the power.

What reason would Google have to offer free internet? Just for ads? No, no I don't think so, not at all.

I willingly open my arms to our new world ruler. I hope you do the same before they read your post.

Back