• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New measurement for water blocks, and rads?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GunzRX

Registered
I wouldn't know what to call it, but I always see articles list the delta-t and then the flow rate.

Instead of listing both all the time in posts, etc or other places that would like/need to keep it short (tweets?) how about we start using a new measurement maybe call it flow per degrees.

Basically divide the lph with the temp above delta-t which basically means per degree it cools how many liters does it allow to flow.

Example would be like 140 lph and 10 degrees above dela t the 'efficiency rating' or er of the block/rad would be 14. Another one that's 120 and 9 would be 13.3 so even though it cools 1 degree more, you know it's 'worse' because it's less efficient. Therefore, if you are looking for the absolute best the go for the second one, otherwise for pretty good the first one (if nothing else then to do a half-*** bleed, and see the bubbles flying everywhere :D).

Only problem is there isn't a direct correlation in flow rates with temps in that anything over 1.5gpm is significantly diminishing returns. So you can't weigh that number equally through its change.

Interesting, but flawed idea though! :)

Last edited:
True, but I was just thinking more on the lines of less restriction = better. As in, which one is less likely to affect the rest of your loop I guess, (and this is probably more true than we'd like to admit) but everyone is running loops that have more than enough power to push water, and a dead baby through. :p

dual pump for 1 rad :D. But, I guess it speaks to quality if one mfg. can make a block that can let twice as much water through while keeping the same temp. that's where my money's going. I guess a calculation for value, it has merit but not in a performance sense. Merely a number for shopper's convenience, I'll continue to use it hopefully others will; if nothing, more than for my own records to see if a product line is evolving or not for example.

Your welcome to ue all the data from Skinnee and Martin and come up with some chart showing that. Might be interesting. If you do, make sure they get the credit for the raw data though.

Back