• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

why is ddr2 still so expensive!?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wagex

Chapstick Eating Premium Member
newer ram is faster cheaper and more power efficient, why?! lol i want 4 gigs to toss in my daughters computer im redoing from a socket 478 to c2d and 4 gigs is like 40 bucks for ddr2 800
20 bucks i could have me 4 gigs of ddr3 1600 lol :shrug:

I recall this being asked before and the answer was...Availability. Its not being produced anymore really so.....it costs more than whats currently out there.

I guess it was a good thing to hang on to my Corsair XMS2 ddr2 sticks then, not that I will ever use them.:D

gonna have to get me a g41 board with ddr3 support then lol ive been tossing around the idea of redoing my step daughters 478 p4 rig with a c2d system until i looked at ram it costs more than a motherboard does! lol

Oh? I got 4x1 GB DDR2 RAM DIMM left (Apache with gold spreader), which would be perfect for 32 bit systems. According to those news it is still some value when sold?

In the past RAM was generally much higher priced. It was never possible to get high end RAM for such a low price such as we are able nowadays. RAM pretty much is no cost factor anymore, i always get most expensive RAM at 1600 MHZ and it still only cost me 100$. The cost is at another spot...

i know lol thats why i said why is it STILL so expensive :D i knew it used to be but wasnt sure why it still is figured price would drop like c2d's and c2q's have

Probably because of server purpose, those are the peoples paying megatons of money in order to keep a old server up because they love it so much. No, i dunno... all the stuff makes no sense to me because new hardware is so much more powerful.

Probably because of server purpose, those are the peoples paying megatons of money in order to keep a old server up because they love it so much. No, i dunno... all the stuff makes no sense to me because new hardware is so much more powerful.
It comes down to cost of replacing a component in the system to the cost of replacing the entire server (hardware and programs). A business would be much more likely to simply add more RAM, even if the prices are high. Otherwise, they need to buy a full server and migrate their applications over to it. The second option costs more and is significantly more risk. That is how they see it.

Not that I disagree with you, just want to give the other view.

think of them as antiques.

and with so few producers producing, the mass market economical effect no longer there, they need to be expensive to be cost efficent.

my question is rather.. why you still using DDR2?

It comes down to cost of replacing a component in the system to the cost of replacing the entire server (hardware and programs). A business would be much more likely to simply add more RAM, even if the prices are high. Otherwise, they need to buy a full server and migrate their applications over to it. The second option costs more and is significantly more risk. That is how they see it.

Not that I disagree with you, just want to give the other view.
I know with hardware lifecycle management in my Data Center, the only thing keeping old servers around are the applications running on it. Some of them wont work on modern OS/Hardware. So in that light, we were forced to keep an ancient Compaq going. Otherwise, these run out of support so fast (5 years?) Most servers though will be long upgraded before you get in to a situation like this... not to mention when you buy servers you normally stack them with ram anyway. The least amount we have of our 75 Physical boxes was 256GB. Some of the monsters that were slated for virtualization duties have 1TB. :shock: :attn:

I guess Im saying if you have to upgrade ram in a server, you didnt purchase it the right way (unless of course you are re-purposing the hardware).

Back