• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sabertooth Z77 vs Maximus Extreme

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Media

I am stuck between the Sabertooth Z77 and Maximus Extreme on a new build. I LOVE how the Sabertooth looks, love the armor that serves for cooling. I want the best performance. I feel like the cooling might be a bit better on the Sabertooth, but I do like that the Maximus has PCI 5-x16 ports vs 3x16 PCI. Or if not what about the ASUS P8Z77-V PREMIUM? Let me know!

CPU: Intel i7 3770K which I might end up over-clocking later on to 4.0GHz or 4.2GHz tops. Just a nice extra kick out of it

wngj9tIBBazzOYip_500.jpg
kQbZNtmYEccCxepl_500.jpg

These are WAY overkill for 4.2GHz, lol. Any other specific features you need?

Your saying 4.2GHz is nothing for these boards? I would like the USB 3.0 since I'm constantly transfering data. Plus I like the new features of ASUS mobos for easy OC, BiOS and so on

Overclocking with Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge is much different than previous generations. Since the FSB is locked and everything is multiplier based, overclocking is very independent of the motherboard. With sufficient cooling, 4.5GHz is easily doable on an ASRock Z77 Extreme4.

USB 3.0 and SATA III are built into the chipset, every motherboard will have them.

Going off another thread; I'd assume the OP has already decided on the Sabertooth. I agree with Knufire. Higher-end boards just aren't worth the price premium anymore... (Rich coming from me; someone running a Maximus Gene V, but hey). I don't use near half the features of this board.. In fact I've barely touched 20% of the features of this board. Honestly. :\.

unless your goin extreme oc or quad sli/xfire, the rog is way overkill for any of your needs, i personally have the sabertooth z77 with the same question you have in mind now when i bought it, but i dont regret a bit, the board introduction makes it sound like a reliable daily driver with nothin special, but it overclocks my 3770k nicely to 5.0 way too easy. its got all the features i need and more, and not to mention it looks great! i didnt install the lil fan ontop of the pci slot to give it a even cleaner look.

Well see I was going to go with ThermalTake's FRIO cpu cooler but than made my mind up and got the Corsair H100 liquid cooling. The thing is I will be doing lots rendering, media, and some graphics. Its not prob for me, I love the Sabertooth Z77. In the end, it will be OC to a tops of 4.5GHz, ATi xFire 7870s.

Well see I was going to go with ThermalTake's FRIO cpu cooler but than made my mind up and got the Corsair H100 liquid cooling. The thing is I will be doing lots rendering, media, and some graphics. Its not prob for me, I love the Sabertooth Z77. In the end, it will be OC to a tops of 4.5GHz, ATi xFire 7870s.

i got my 7870 block f/s in the classified if you find yourself needing to wc those to get higher clocks!:attn:

I agree, the ROG series are no longer worth the premium most times. Same happens to me and my MVG. There are lots of different voltages, clock skews, and what not. I don't know what half of them do. :rofl:

I guess ROG boards are, now that overclocking is almost always CPU dependent, only for LN2 and extreme cooling. The LN2 mode and that stuff is really neat, but, for playing Minesweeper while you surf OCF, it isn't worth the premium.

Though, to defend myself, the MVG was the cheapest Z77 board that my retailer had available :3!

It was the cheapest available, I think there were some from ASRock that were gonna arrive in a couple of weeks and also one from Gigabyte (UD3H IIRC) that was barely 10 EUR less than the MVG, so I couldn't resist :p. I needed the computer up for work asap, too, so I bought the MVG.

Good to hear. As for ASRock, I real lots of reviews saying their mobo had issues and such.

From what I have seen, there is a lot of issues on the user end instead of ASRock's. I am running the Extreme4 with the 3770k with zero issues (4.5GHz was dead simple on air). Although they all are great boards (the MVE and Sabertooth obviously will have more features), the Extreme4 probably has the best bang for your buck right now.

Edit: I also want to point out that there was some bios issues (ASRock's fault) a while back but they have been fixed with the newer bios versions (yours will come with a newer version).

Yes, BIOS sucked a while ago. And NEVER flash beta BIOS even if they're gonna fix something you need. I was in the market for an Ivy and flashed my board to the BETA Ivy BIOS (I had a P67 Extreme4). The board dropped compatibility with ALL nVidias, it seems, since I couldn't use my 470s, or a friends 9800GTX+, or my fathers GTX260. I dropped a friend's HD2600XT, and it posted perfectly. I had to buy a new board because it seemed that BIOS upgraded something (I think it was IME?) and the downgrade was not possible. Not to mention that ASRock's customer support hasn't replied me yet. So I bought this MVG because I was in a rush, and since the board posted with a HD2600XT, I was sure the e-tailer I bought it from won't even care to send it to the distributor.

Do you really need 5 pci-e 3.0? ASUS P8Z77-V PREMIUM will be suited your needs.

Sort of the route I went. I looked at the Sabertooth vs P8Z77-vPro side by side, and the P8Z77 offered the same, except one or two more PCI slots but allowed for over-clocked memory where as the Sabertooth stopped at 1866MHz, the other went to like 2300MHz I think. Plus its cheaper, and the armor on the sabertooth probably doesn't do much for heat reduction

Back