• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus Maximus XI Extreme PCIe Slots query

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sajeev3105

Registered
Hi Guys,
I am using two M.2's in DIMM.2 slot on my Asus Maximus XI Extreme on my motherboard. I just want to know if I run two Nvidia 2080Ti's FE on NVLINK will both the Graphic Cards run on X8 or X8+X4?

I am pretty sure the cards will not run on X16 as I have configured my CPU PCIe to DIMM.1+DIMM.2. I know one graphic card should run on X8, don't know about the second one..
Will it be X8+X8 or X8+X4 or X4+X4?

Any help will be really appreciated..

Rgds
Sajeev

NVIDIA SLI doesnt work with an x4 lane in the first place.

That said, in your manual, it specifies what gets disbaled/lanes are borrowed when using m.2 devices. It should disable a SATA port or 2. But again, confirm in the manual.

Two card will never run x16/x16 anyway on that platform as it doesnt have enough pcie lanes from the CPU.

NVIDIA SLI doesnt work with an x4 lane in the first place.

That said, in your manual, it specifies what gets disbaled/lanes are borrowed when using m.2 devices. It should disable a SATA port or 2. But again, confirm in the manual.

Two card will never run x16/x16 anyway on that platform as it doesnt have enough pcie lanes from the CPU.
Don't know why but my bios says PCIe can be configured to PCIEX16_1 + PCIEX16_2. Doesn't disable anything, just that my DIMM.2 are then no longer accessible, to activate it have to select relevant options as per the picture attached. Only if I configure my PCIEX16_3 bandwidth to X4 Mode do the SATA Ports 5 & 6 get disabled, else if set to X2 mode they are enabled.

As per you NVLINK or SLI doesn't work on X4 and Nvidia told me that if I attach two graphic cards along with DIMM.2 in place, the cards will run on X4/X4.

So I guess this solves my issue. Maybe I'll just give up on the idea of having an additional M.2 or buy a PCIe to NVME adapter and run it on X4.

Rgds
Sajeev

IMG_20190325_095835.jpeg

From your Manual -> Page 1-8 <- When running dual Video Cards PCIex16_1 & x16_2 will run in x8/x8 mode.
From your Manual -> Page 3-19 <- PCIEX16_3 Bandwidth - This item allows you to set the PCIEX4 (labeled PCIeX16_3) socket to work in either PCIe x2 or PCIe x4 mode. When PCIe x4 mode is enabled, SATA ports 5/6 are disabled.Configuration options: [X2 Mode] [X4 Mode]
From your Manual -> Page 3-19 <- CPU PCIE Configuration Mode - This item allows you to configure the CPU PCIE configurations. Configuration options: [PCIEX16_1 + PCIEX16_2] [DIMM.2_1 + PCIEX16_2] [DIMM.2_1 + DIMM.2_2. This is very cryptic and does not really tell you what you need to know.
Here is a review of your board by -> https://www.bjorn3d.com/2018/11/asus-maximus-xi-extreme-review/3/ <-
They explain the PCIe layout much better :
- The Maximus XI Extreme has three x16 mechanical slots. The top two are CPU fed slots while the last is chipset/DMI. It is worth noting that even though the slots are mechanically x16 they are electrically dependent on slot and device population. The topmost slot is the primary and when the 2nd slot is not populated it will give 16 lanes PCIe to the installed GPU or other devices. However, since this board employs a DIMM.2 it is worth noting those are CPU lanes as well so if you populate two M.2 Drives in the DIMM.2 module your main slot will drop to x8. Keep this in mind as this means if you are running SLI, you will need to use the DMI based M.2’s below the PCH cover. This is not a limitation of the ASUS board but the platform as a whole since mainstream platforms do not have the massive quantity of PCIe lanes available like we see on the HEDT parts.
- Basically - If you are using the DIMM.2_1 & .2_2 then the PCIeX16_1 & x16_2 are running at x4/x4.

I hope this answers your question :)

Ok, Thanks a lot. It does solve my doubts and based on what you explained and from what I read, I think I will go ahead by installing my two 1TB M.2's in the M.2 slots on the motherboard and buy a PCIe to NVME adapter and install my current boot drive on it and make it run at X4 and sacrifice my SATA 5 & SATA 6 ports but at the same time retain my PCIeX16_1 & PCIeX_2 at X16 and run SLI on X8/X8.

DO you think this should be ok?

Regards
Sajeev

Hi! Sorry to bother you again.. I have a few questions on the topic mentioned above again:

1. My motherboard has two M.2 SSD slots, considering I install two M.2's in these slots and install 2 GPU's over SLI, will I be able to get X8/X8 for these cards? (NOT USING DIMM.2)

2. The third PCIeX16_3 slot, if I configure it to be X4 in the bios which will disable SATA 5 & SATA 6, in this scenario will I be still able to get X8/X8 on PCIeX16_1/PCIeX16_2? (NOT USING DIMM.2)

I will be really grateful if you could revert back on this, I am relatively a newbie so need guidance from people who know this topic.

Rgds
Sajeev

From your Manual -> Page 1-8 <- When running dual Video Cards PCIex16_1 & x16_2 will run in x8/x8 mode.
From your Manual -> Page 3-19 <- PCIEX16_3 Bandwidth - This item allows you to set the PCIEX4 (labeled PCIeX16_3) socket to work in either PCIe x2 or PCIe x4 mode. When PCIe x4 mode is enabled, SATA ports 5/6 are disabled.Configuration options: [X2 Mode] [X4 Mode]
From your Manual -> Page 3-19 <- CPU PCIE Configuration Mode - This item allows you to configure the CPU PCIE configurations. Configuration options: [PCIEX16_1 + PCIEX16_2] [DIMM.2_1 + PCIEX16_2] [DIMM.2_1 + DIMM.2_2. This is very cryptic and does not really tell you what you need to know.
Here is a review of your board by -> https://www.bjorn3d.com/2018/11/asus-maximus-xi-extreme-review/3/ <-
They explain the PCIe layout much better :
- The Maximus XI Extreme has three x16 mechanical slots. The top two are CPU fed slots while the last is chipset/DMI. It is worth noting that even though the slots are mechanically x16 they are electrically dependent on slot and device population. The topmost slot is the primary and when the 2nd slot is not populated it will give 16 lanes PCIe to the installed GPU or other devices. However, since this board employs a DIMM.2 it is worth noting those are CPU lanes as well so if you populate two M.2 Drives in the DIMM.2 module your main slot will drop to x8. Keep this in mind as this means if you are running SLI, you will need to use the DMI based M.2’s below the PCH cover. This is not a limitation of the ASUS board but the platform as a whole since mainstream platforms do not have the massive quantity of PCIe lanes available like we see on the HEDT parts.
- Basically - If you are using the DIMM.2_1 & .2_2 then the PCIeX16_1 & x16_2 are running at x4/x4.

I hope this answers your question :)

What does your manual say happens, if anything, to the PCIe slots when installing a PCIe based devices in those slots? What MM quoted talks about the DIMM.2 module... what does your manual say specifically about the slots on the board itself?

It doesn't say anything about it...

Best Regards
Sajeev

What does your manual say happens, if anything, to the PCIe slots when installing a PCIe based devices in those slots? What MM quoted talks about the DIMM.2 module... what does your manual say specifically about the slots on the board itself?

I just contacted them and they solved all my doubts..

As per Asus When M.2_1 and M.2_2 (Socket 3) are installed with M.2 NVME Ssd's on SATA Mode(Single or Both) then in that case SATA 2 will get disabled but still I will get X8/X8 for SLI. Incase PCIeX16_3 is also connected then in that case PCIeX16_2 will have X4 speeds.

Then nothing changes....

... I would reach out to Asus to confirm.

I'm surprised (disappointed) their manual doesn't say that! Wow.

Well, there you have it! Looks like in order to SLI x8/x8 you need to run your SSDs on the two (chipset fed) mobo M.2 slots.

Yeah, even I am kind off surprised.. but as they say all that ends well is well. finally I can have my 2 RTX 2080Ti's FE to work on SLI. Really excited about it.. It seems it would match perfectly. I was actually about to buy a new CPU i9-9900X but wasn't sure of it's performance. Any idea how does this CPU perform?

Rgds
Sajeev

I'm surprised (disappointed) their manual doesn't say that! Wow.

Well, there you have it! Looks like in order to SLI x8/x8 you need to run your SSDs on the two (chipset fed) mobo M.2 slots.

It performs fine. What CPU are you currently using in that board? How about creating a signature that lists your system specifications so we can refer to it when needed? :)

What resolution are you gaming on with 2 2080 Ti's? I assume 4K? If so, the CPU won't affect gaming too much though you have two heavy weight cards in SLI so clockspeed can matter. I would test and see that you are getting the FPS you need and go from there before looking at buying a 9900K.

It performs fine. What CPU are you currently using in that board? How about creating a signature that lists your system specifications so we can refer to it when needed? :)

What resolution are you gaming on with 2 2080 Ti's? I assume 4K? If so, the CPU won't affect gaming too much though you have two heavy weight cards in SLI so clockspeed can matter. I would test and see that you are getting the FPS you need and go from there before looking at buying a 9900K.

Is the OP looking to buy a 9900k or 9900X?

He said 9900x.... but that's an expensive arse chip....then again, so are 2 2080ti's so clearly he has the Jack.:p

That said, unless he can use all the cores and threads, it wont help much.

Well I'll be having two systems for my gaming as well as editing rig, following are the details:

1. Rig One: Project Black Mamba

CPU: AMD Threadripper 2950X
MOBO: MSI X399 MEG CREATION
RAM: 64GB (8*8GB) @2933MHz Gskill TridentZ RGB
Storage: 2*1TB Samsung 970 EVO PRO, 1*1TB Samsung 860 EVO
GPU: 2*Radeon VII (Have one already, another on the way, should have it by Sunday)[This build initially had RTX 2080Ti's)
PSU: Cooler Master V1200 Platinum
Cooling: Custom Liquid Cooling, CPU: BarrowCH, GPU's: EKWB (On the way should also receive by Sunday, just tracked my order online..:)))
Pump & Reservoir: EKWB
Radiator: Alphacool 1*420MM (45MM), 1*280MM (45MM) (I think it's called NexXoos or something)
Fans: Corsair LL140*6
Fan Hub: Corsair Commander Pro*1
Pipes & Fittings: Barrow
Case: Corsair 750D (Modified, Got rid of the Optical Disk Bay)

2. Rig Two: Project Cobra

CPU: intel I9-9900K
MOBO: Asus Maximus XI Extreme
RAM: 64GB (4*16GB) @3200MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB
Storage: 2*1TB Samsung 970 EVO PRO, 1*500GB Samsung 970 EVO PRO, 1*Maxsun 480GB RGB SSD
GPU: 2*RTX 2080Ti FE [This is from my earlier build]
PSU: EVGA G2000+ Gold Certified
Cooling: Custom Liquid Cooling, CPU: EKWB Velocity, GPU's: EKWB
Pump & Reservoir: EKWB
Radiator: Alphacool 1*420MM (45MM), 1*360MM (45MM) (Same series as above)
Fans: Corsair LL140*4, LL120*6(On Push Pull Config)
Fan Hub: Corsair Commander Pro*2
Pipes & Fittings: Barrow
Case Thermaltake View71

Hope this replies to your first part of the question (System Config).

To reply to second part which is going to 19-9900X, this was primarily because this processor has more PCIe lanes (42 or 44), and seems this CPU is good for both gaming and editing, thus I was looking to buy it and pair it with R6E Omega motherboard. But I think I will wait and see if I can have two GPU's working at X8/X8..Anyways will keep you guys posted on the matter. And yes I will attach a picture of my last rig here so that you can have a look at it and give suggestions as to what changes should I make in the i9-9900K or i9-9900X build.

BLACK MAMBA.jpg Side Panel.jpg

Hi All,
I got my second Radeon vii and have installed it in my second PCIe X16 slot and yes after using it I can confirm that both my cards are running on X8/X8 even though I have a NVME adapter installed on my third PCIe slot running at X4. So happy that everything is running as I wanted it to be. Speeds seem to be ok on the NVME M 2 installed via adapter on the third slot.

I thank each one of you for helping me with this and providing with your suggestions and advice.

Tks a ton

Rgds
Sajeev IMG_20190402_002735.jpeg IMG_20190402_002714.jpeg IMG_20190402_002755.jpeg

Back