• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The People Above Me Are LOUD! I Need Some Good Headphones

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

noname2020x

I just moved into a great apartment in every single aspect except one. The people above me are loud! I swear they must just stomp on the ground on purpose every few seconds. I have talked to them and it has improved slightly since then, but if this continues I NEED some good noise canceling headphones. Are there any headphones that would do especially well with stomping noises? I'm desperate here.:bang head

Due to the nature of the design, high end IEMs tend to have better isolation than headphones. If you want to stick to headphones, make sure you get a closed-back set vs an open-back one.

Try something like the Sennheiser HD280 Pro or what I now use, the Audio Technica ATH-M50. Both are closed over the ear headphones, and both are decent for their respecitive prices ($100 and $150). Beware that not all headphones in those price classes are created equal. I tried a pair of Shure headphones for $100 that were so poor sounding and uncomfortable that I sent them back. That's the first time I've retruend anything in many many years.

Oh, and you may need an external amp to properly power larger over the ear headphones. Maybe start a thread in the sound sub section of the forum... ;)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...m1132X509988X4f85f743a3eab7f2d1f5ba805e946f2a

One of these set on top of your entertainment center about 2 ft from the ceiling in a corner away from other neighbors will give you plenty of chances to have a conversation with them at your door.

The key is, due to resonance in your ceiling it'll be louder to them than anyone else, including you.

The people have been accommodating. There are more factors than just them walking. The floor design - wood or concrete- and the amount of stuff in noname2020xs house that is sound absorbing. Those people may not be able to help the fact that the building is either old or poorly designed and noname2020x may be a spartan with little in the way of sound absorbing materials in his home.

Don't spread the hate it just make thing worse until someone looses it.

Don't spread the hate it just make thing worse until someone looses it.

True.

Or start making plans to find another place. My best friend recently did that. Despite being a perfect tenant for 6 years, the landlord refused to boot the drug addicts above them making noise at all hours of the day. So instead of getting angry he just took his money elsewhere. Now the landlord gets to deal with a new tenant with the exact same complaints, and some people would be less tolerant and just call the police every night until those noisey neighbors got evicted. That IS another option for you, fwiw. You only have to inform your landlord the first time, after that it's disturbing the peace if the cause can be traced down to their behavior. Video/audio tape it if necessary.

True.

Or start making plans to find another place. My best friend recently did that. Despite being a perfect tenant for 6 years, the landlord refused to boot the drug addicts above them making noise at all hours of the day. So instead of getting angry he just took his money elsewhere. Now the landlord gets to deal with a new tenant with the exact same complaints, and some people would be less tolerant and just call the police every night until those noisey neighbors got evicted. That IS another option for you, fwiw. You only have to inform your landlord the first time, after that it's disturbing the peace if the cause can be traced down to their behavior. Video/audio tape it if necessary.

Don't want to stray too far OT here but if it is section 8 they need a court order and they will not get that unless there are multiple law violations (that have been reported and litigated with the tenant being found guilty) recorded.

Will an external amp help noise cancellation or just up the volume of my music/games?

Also, ftr, pretty sure LZ_Xray was kidding. I thought it was funny lol.

Probably was but it could give ideas to people that do not have all their facilities (Like Me?) and it could cause issues. My post was the disclaimer.

Now 2 speakers @800 watts should be enough to...

Volume mostly. Noise cancelling IMO is a waste in this situation. You'd just want some ear plugs if all you want to do is sleep.

+1 - It's been a while since I've used active noise cancelling headphones, but last time I did they didn't do too well against things like footsteps.

But if you need sound, Like Knufire said, a set of in ear buds might work better. Don't know what your budget is, but I just got some Sennheiser CX880s off Amazon for relatively cheap (was ~$60, looks like they're up to $65 now). Good at blocking sound once you figure out which adapters fit best and also probably the best sounding set of earbuds I've owned so far :D

But if you need sound, Like Knufire said, a set of in ear buds might work better. Don't know what your budget is, but I just got some Sennheiser CX880s off Amazon for relatively cheap (was ~$60, looks like they're up to $65 now). Good at blocking sound once you figure out which adapters fit best and also probably the best sounding set of earbuds I've owned so far :D

I use ear buds on planes because they don't even need sound coming out of them to act as good ear plugs.

Back