• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Linux and Onboard Audio

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

whooping_a_panda

Mr Slave Senior
well im making my old PIII rig (purchased from micron so i dont know what kinda mobo its got) into a linux box, now id like my sound blaster live! to migrate to my new computer an leave linux to use the onboard sound the PIII's mobo has.

It is a creative chip on the motherboard and thats basically all i know about it right now (but that can change :D), my question is weather or not linux has issues with using onboard sound. or is that a dumb questions and "of course the onboard audio will work with it"

Im a linux newbie here but am trying to learn, and i just wanna do it right.

Thanks

Jon Austin

haha thanks a bunch wa11y appreciate it, if all goes well with _this_ :rolleyes: attempt im ditching microcult, err umm soft for good and runnin linux on both rigs :)

First I find your name very offensive. :)

I used RedHat 7.2 starting out, worked great for me. Recognized my SB Live! card but not my onboard audio for some reason.

Know your audio and how you connect to the interent.. 2 toughest things to configure.

And eat, drink, CRAP the command line.

:)

It doesn't matter whether it's on the mobo or pci, it's the chip set in the audio card. If the chip set is poorly supported or not supported at all it will cause problems, other wise it should work fine.

If the onboard audio is AC97 codec or similar to a Soundblaster there shouldn't be too much of a problem.

If the onboard audio is anything supported by linux at all it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

PenguinFreak said:
If the onboard audio is AC97 codec or similar to a Soundblaster there shouldn't be too much of a problem.

I believe thats the one i got on the mother board so im thinkin it wont be much of a problem at all

Eli said:
First I find your name very offensive.

sorry but nothing wrong intended with it... unless of course your a panda activist :rolleyes: :D

edit: i just saw your avatar... haha i get it now, ohh the fun things you find when you let the page load fully :) suppose pandas can aid in the art of overclocking like chickens can? ohh i deffinatly think so :beer:

thanks again guys, the helps greatly appreciated and i think ill be doin ok with my linux exploit... just gotta start crappin the command line now and i should be just fine :p

Back