• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Issues with PSU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Energie

Hi guys

Im new in this forum and also new at building custom pc. Today i built my very first pc and im having one big problem with it. It seems that the psu is not providing enough power for my pc to power on properly. The first five seconds the pc turns on strong but the after that, the pc power starts to fade gradually. I've tried taking out the battery of the motherboard for 10 minutes (like some people have suggested) and still getting the same issue. Its a 850w psu so i don't know whats them atter... sigh im running out of options here :(

Even the fans RPM (or w/e its called) is weak. Quite honestly i don't know what's going on. Please help me out :)

Specs:

Thermaltake Mk-1 case
Intel i5 2400
Asus p8p67 deluxe motherboard
Asus HD 6870x2 GPU
Corsair Dominator 16gb DDR3 memory kit
Corsair tx850w 80+ bronze certified PSU
Samsung Blu-Ray Combo Internal 12XReadable and DVD-Writable Drive
Hitachi 1tb Sata hard drive

Can you please describe how far in the boot process you get and what exactly is happening? The more detail the better.

It doesnt even boot at all lol. The pc just turns on for 5 secs, the processor fan barely spins, along with the case fans. I get no video display on top of that...

I seriously doubt it's the PSU.
You can test the PSU to an extent with the link in my sig though.

Do you have the little brass standoffs installed in the case?
All the ram fully seated?
CPU in correctly with no bent pins?

can you tell us what's the brand of the PSU.. did it booted to windows? if yes, have you tried playing a game? does it turn off in the middle of something? might be really the PSU but i might be wrong... have you tried attaching a good quality 850w PSU on that rig?

That info is in post #3 :D

damn i need to go to the eye doctor right awayyyy!:bang head LoL :facepalm:

@op

have you tried re attaching the ram? now that ive read the info i know now what's happening and that happened to me in the past. what i did was re attached the parts especially the ram and made sure its seated perfectly... soon enough i found out that it was my PSU was dying... well in you're case you have an excellent PSU...

I seriously doubt it's the PSU.
You can test the PSU to an extent with the link in my sig though.

Do you have the little brass standoffs installed in the case?
All the ram fully seated?
CPU in correctly with no bent pins?

I agree, not likely a PSU issue...

can you try attaching a different PSU? or perhaps just a single GPU with that same PSU?

20 minutes ago i switched my old pc power supply to my new rig. Still shows the same issue. Man... im running out of options here lol

Last edited:
have you tried attaching the cpu and other parts on a different motherboard? might also be a motherboard problem. or have you tried attaching a different ram,cpu to that motherboard, might be also a ram and cpu not working... you can contact the store where you bought it and let them test which part isnt working and let them exchange it for a working one...

20 minutes ago i switched my old pc power supply to my new rig. Still shows the same issue. Man... im running out of options here lol

You are far from out of options. Get a cardboard box and build your entire system on it part by part, checking each connection and seated part. Also be sure you take the CPU out of the socket and inspect the socket for bent pins of TIM in the socket or on the bottom of the CPU (as Bobnova already suggested). Then when you put the CPU back in make sure it is aligned with the notches of the socket correctly. Be sure you have all of the PSU cables connected such as the CPU 8-pin and the 24-pin ATX cable etc...

If it boots on the box then you probably have it grounded out in the case somewhere... Check the stand-offs (also already mentioned by bobnova)

Back