• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need some advice on cooling GTX 460

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

subzero

Hi,

I currently have 2x GTX 460 SLI and the fans on 1 of my cards have started making bad noise so i assume failure is inevitable so i need some advice.

I currently have a water cooled CPU so i figured ill add a block to the 460 with failing fans and add it to the loop, problem is 460's are so old its hard to get water blocks plus im in australia and makes water blocks even harder to get.

heres the card i have http://www.gigabyte.com.au/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3530#ov

and here is the only water block i can find in australia that would fit http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=207_160_878_880&products_id=20313

My question now is what about my ram on the GPU, will those little ram heatsinks with alloy fins be ok if i have a case fan flowing over them? i dont do hardcore overclocking and usually only up the GPU by about 100mhz.

I would consider an aftermarket air cooler if someone can recomend something that will still allow SLI and not be stupidly oversized or over priced.

Any advice would be appreciated.

My question now is what about my ram on the GPU, will those little ram heatsinks with alloy fins be ok if i have a case fan flowing over them? i dont do hardcore overclocking and usually only up the GPU by about 100mhz.

This should be fine. Just make sure anything that was sinked before is still sinked. This could be the MOSFETs as well. But small forged copper sinks + some airflow over them should be fine.

Greetings All!

This is my first post. On my EVGA GTX 460 I JB Welded a 80mm x 15mm fan on top of the stock cooling fan opening. For an SLI application you would have to use PCIe slots 1 & 3 for clearance, but my card runs @ 30C. It used to run in the upper 40C (47C to 48C). If I was going to do it again, I would remove the stock cooling fan & enlarge the opening in the plastic shroud to match the 80mm cooling fan. This is much less expensive than a water block, & increases the cooling on the entire card, not just the GPU.

Hope that this helps

Back