• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I5 2400 Voltage problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rundll

Registered
MSI z68ma-g43 mobo
2x4gb 1333 mhz ram
120gb extreme sata 3 ssd
hd 6870 GPU
i5 2400 CPU

On idle my chip i5 2400 uses 0.992 V according to CPU-Z and 0.995 according to Core Temp

On turbo @3.4 it is around 1.36+ V

And this seems to cause overheating

I reinstalled everything.. heatsink, paste 4-5 times and nothing changed

Running prime 95 intel turbo mode on.. CPU gets to TjMAX in a minute

Turned off Intel Turbo Boost

It runs better @3.1 but still close to 1.3 V draw

Chip is 5 months old I got from a friend it still has guarantee. What should I do ? Am I doing something wrong ?

The BIOS automatically sets a ~1.36V Vcore because Turbo is enabled and Vcore is set to Auto, which is way too high a voltage for only a 3.4GHz clock. Take the Vcore setting off Auto, manually adjust it to ~1.15V, then run Prime to check for stability at that voltage.

it looks like a setting called "PLL overvoltage" was causing the problem which was set "AUTO" I disabled it. Now it turbos and voltage is around 1.2. I dont even understand why this damn BIOS sets it to auto.... What if this computer belonged to someone who never would understand about it. Would probably kill the CPU or burn the computer.

It even took me an hour to figure it out

So I assume the BIOS doesn't offer a Vcore option?

it does offer auto but I have it set to +0.0000

This CPU runs much hotter than my previous i3 2130... I wish I never replaced it...

at least 10 degrees difference

Then just set it to a negative offset to equal ~1.15V, and leave Internal PLL Overvoltage set to Auto.

cant set it less than zero .. is there something i need to chane before i set it negative amounts ?

Just to verify... are you trying to change it via the +/- keys on the KeyPad?

When I click on Core VOltage options a list is opened it starts with "Auto" option and comes +0 following auto and so on... there are no minus numbers I tried pushing minus but it didnt work

by the way now it seems cpu is not getting past 3.2 ghz

this cpu supposed to turbo @ 3.4

it was doing so when internal PLL overvoltage was on

I've seen some boards have an option to select positive or negative offset. Then you set the offset amount as a separate option.

Turn Turbo Boost back on if you want it to turbo to 3.4. ;)

Leave PLL overvoltage off.

I've seen some boards have an option to select positive or negative offset. Then you set the offset amount as a separate option.

Turn Turbo Boost back on if you want it to turbo to 3.4. ;)

Leave PLL overvoltage off.

Turbo boost is on however it never seems to exceed a clock of 3.2...

My values are now so

Turbo Boost: ON
PLL overvoltage: OFF
Core Voltage: Auto

On idle it is around 45 degrees C
On load games 70 degrees C up to 75 C

Ambient temperature is around 25 degrees

Can you post pics of your BIOS options?

I ll do it as soon as I can reach my BIOS from windows 7. it is MSI click BIOS 2 I must be able to find a way to reach BIOS on Win 7 but I could not find the utility. MOBO z68ma-g43

this is almost my BIOS except there is no CPU i o voltage option and there is no vdroop control

Back