• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hardware dying or something?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FoxGirlFayth

Here are my system specs folr the mobo and cpu and like I said I think one of my devices are going out

Motherboard
Manufacturer ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
Model P8Z77-V LK (LGA1155)
Version Rev X.0x
Chipset Vendor Intel
Chipset Model Sandy Bridge
Chipset Revision 09
Southbridge Vendor Intel
Southbridge Model Z77
Southbridge Revision 04

Cores 4
Threads 4
Name Intel Core i5 2500K
Code Name Sandy Bridge
Package Socket 1155 LGA
Technology 32nm
Specification Intel Core i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But whats going on is the system will try and boot up but then it shuts down,tries again and it may boot but normally it goes down and tries again until it finally boots. When I say boot I dont mean all the way to the desktop I just mean to even bios loading. I am 99% sure it is not the psu because when I check the voltage it stays constant under load. The cpu and mobo are both old and used as well. I need to figure this out and get things replaced soon because my wife starts school tomorrow and needs the desktop running perfect.

Anyways, could someone recommend troubleshooting tips or should I just replace the main 3?

I plan on replacing the mobo ram and cpu with these below but still am undecided. I know anything will really be an upgrade. Also too, are there any mobos with the 350 chipset that will work with the ryzen? I really dont want to go asus, and the other boards got crappy reviews.

Component Selection Price
CPU View attachment 141943
AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor
$149.99 Buy
Motherboard View attachment 141944
Asus - PRIME B450M-A/CSM Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard
$79.89 Buy
Memory View attachment 141945
Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2400 Memory

I'd look at the psu anyway. It may not be but...just because the voltage doesnt move, doesnt mean it's getting clean power. What brand and model psu?

Make sure all power and data cables are properly plugged in...reseat them.

You can try buying new parts... one of those 3 are likely an issue, but if she needs it tomorrow....what can you do?

With a system that old if it's not one thing it will likely be another before much longer. It's a good time to look at an upgrade and the situation with your wife's starting school suggests to me it's not frivolous purchase. But I would certainly look at replacing the PSU in the process if it's as old as the rest of the system. A decent PSU is just not that expensive. And the other replacement components you are looking at are a good choice as far as bang for buck is concerned. But what about storage? Are you going to use the old hard drive? I personally would not do that as hard drives are often the first component to go bad on a system.

If you have another computer available I would create a Linux Live flash drive or DVD installer and see if the current system having a problem will boot into the Linux desktop from the installer medium. That would bypass the hard drive and tell give some process of elimination data to work with. If it boots reliably into the Linux desktop then that points to the hard disk being the culprit.

Well we get our tax return and paid this week so I can get it fixed soon. It works now but we only have issued when it boots. The rest of the system is only a couple years old. First Gen Titan x, Samsung Evo 250. 1tb Seagate hdd and a 500gb wd blue.

The psu is a corsair 750x or which ever it is. It's the modular version and it's 3 years old. I can replace it too if needed. The storage drives are fine according to all the tests I have done. The gpu doesn't have any issues at all.

If most of the components are only three years old then those should have some life left.

I would run sfc /scannow from an elevated powershell with admin privileges. Here's the correct way to do it: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026529/windows-10-using-system-file-checker

I would also do an offline check for infections that can hide when checked in Windows. Here's some tools for doing that: https://www.lifewire.com/free-bootable-antivirus-tools-2625785
I use the Bitdefender product and have found it to root out infections that Windows-based products don't discover. The only thing I don't like about it is that it uses a Linux product for the boot and unless you have a Wifi adapter that works with Linux you need to have a wired connection to the internet for it to download it's updates.

Then just keep it on, don't shut it off.

Negative, trying to save money and I dislike leaving my systems on 24/7. Plus it doesn't fix the issue. It's just a bandaid and a bad one.

Have you tried a BIOS flash?

Yep I have done that. I have done all the troubleshooting I can think of. That's why I wanted more opinions on the issue. I been itching to upgrade anyways so this will give me reason I guess. Just didn't want to spend 450 on new parts right now.

If most of the components are only three years old then those should have some life left.

I would run sfc /scannow from an elevated powershell with admin privileges. Here's the correct way to do it: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026529/windows-10-using-system-file-checker

I would also do an offline check for infections that can hide when checked in Windows. Here's some tools for doing that: https://www.lifewire.com/free-bootable-antivirus-tools-2625785
I use the Bitdefender product and have found it to root out infections that Windows-based products don't discover. The only thing I don't like about it is that it uses a Linux product for the boot and unless you have a Wifi adapter that works with Linux you need to have a wired connection to the internet for it to download it's updates.

I have done both of these as well. Did a thorough system scan on both check disk and also infection based. Used big business class software to check the system for any issues and ran a slew of virus/worm/trojan/ any infection scanners. Nothing has been found. It's why I'm so stumped on the issue. Once it's on it works perfect.

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

Forgot to mention too, any way to tell if any of the 350 based chipset boards are compatible straight up with the ryzen 2600 without a bios upgrade or need for previous Gen cpu?

Forgot to mention too, any way to tell if any of the 350 based chipset boards are compatible straight up with the ryzen 2600 without a bios upgrade or need for previous Gen cpu?

Not that I know of but if you are buying from a retail brick and mortar store you might talk them into updating the bios for you. Why would you not want to buy a 450 board for the 2600? Is there that much of a saving to go with the first generation board?

Not that I know of but if you are buying from a retail brick and mortar store you might talk them into updating the bios for you. Why would you not want to buy a 450 board for the 2600? Is there that much of a saving to go with the first generation board?

5he ones on pcpartpicker that are not Asus boards got crappy reviews and I refuse to buy Asus after my last issue with them.

Are you implying that the first generation boards didn't have so many problems? You know how reviews are. Sometimes you have to take them with a grain of salt taking the idiot factor into account. I'm not saying they're useless, either. Perhaps it would be wise to purchase a second generation board from someone like Amazon that will not give you any hassle if it is bad and you need to return it. Otherwise, you seem to have boxed yourself out of good options unless you're willing to buy a cheap used first gen CPU off of ebay or something.

There is no way to tell if the 350 based chipset will be compatible with ryzen 2600. I would purchase 450 chipset board.

Ya I guess I'll do that. I mean I could give Asus a shot again but I'm hesitant. Last time my laptop had to be repaired 5 times for the exact same thing each time.

I would not give Asus another shot. I also have had problems with Asus laptop and motherboard BIOS fail.

So try another brand. I have had bad experiences at one time or another with all the motherboard manufacturers. I can't say any of them impress me with their customer support either. I mostly buy ASRock boards anymore because of the good bang for buck and generally have be pleased with them. If you want to squeeze every last mhz out of an overclock, the high end Asus boards are probably the best bet. But Ryzen doesn't have much overclock headroom anyway.

Nah I don't plan on over clocking. As far as trying another brand, I'm perfectly fine with it. The reason I. Brought the Asus one up is so many reviews spread across the internet have said its a great board and hardly anyone has issues. Believe me when I say I understand that you can have a dud. I been fixing computers for 14 years now but I'm still leary on certain things lol.

Anyways thanks for the advice and I will do this because well I need too lol.

If you're not overclocking then most any board will do so I'd look for a good sale on one that has the features (ports, fan headers, etc.) you want. The only other thing to give attention to would be if you are intending to go with high speed RAM as the Ryzen platform is still a little quirky in that regard, but not as much as with the first gen. If you are content to go with DDR4 2666 or under there should be no problem using any RAM out there.

I had a similar issue with my last rig. Turns out, it was one of the sticks of memory. It would do it maybe 10% of the time at first (no post) and got progressively worse over time. Finally, it would just not boot at all. I tried a lot of different hardware swaps. I finally pulled one ram stick at a time, and sure enough, I discovered that it would not boot with one of the 4 sticks installed in any slot.

Give it a try maybe?

Back