• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need some help for my first build! $1350

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Juiced

Registered
Hello everyone, and good day, it's very nice to meet you all!

I'm new here to the forums but have been looking on as a guest for quite some time.

I've bought "high end" pre-built PC's in the past but they have all failed for one reason or another, (Ibuypower & Cyberpower) and thus come to face the fact that if you want something something done right you have to do it yourself.

This is my first true build from scratch and I just want to cross my t's and dot my i's so to speak. I've done a ton of research and handpick my parts, however I would like to know if all the parts I plan on using are in fact compatible with each other. I don't know it all and wont pretend to. I'm just an honest guy looking for some honest advice.

A little about me first:
Heavy into Gaming (BF3, WoW, D3, GW2, CCS, SimCity hopefully!,
Future Proofer (Over do it sometimes)
Amateur Overclocker (Got my first taste with Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 519K :rofl: )

Here goes nothing, feel free to tell me if I'm missing something to get it running properly! Or parts suggestion! (3570k vs 3770k?)

Total cost of my build ~ $1350 give or take 20 :D

Parts to buy
Processor : Intel Core™ i5-3570K Processor
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116504
Motherboard :Asus - SABERTOOTHZ77
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131821
GPU: PNY - GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133467&Tpk=VCGGTX660TXPB
CPU Cooler : Cooler Master - Hyper 212 EVO
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099
PSU: Corsair - Enthusiast Series 750-Watt
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139021
HD :WD - Caviar Black 1tb
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136533
Ram: Corsair - Vengeance 2x4gb
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145346
Disk drive :Asus - DVD/CD drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135240
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116992

Owned
Monitor : Dell S2330MX
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824260057
Mouse: Logitech G9x
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826104261
Keyboard: Logitech G110
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823126087

Ill take all the advice I can get! Thanks everyone

Parts all look compatible to me and good choices=)
a few changes to consider tho.

One is juts cosmetic i would switch out the blue Vengeance ram for black so it looks nicer on the motherboard you can get the same ones just in black=)

Two would be to get your self a SSD drive for your operating system, there pretty cheep now and will make a huge difference in the speed of your system.

Hey, welcome to OCF! :beer:

When trying to recommend a build to you, there's some information that's extremely helpful for us to know. If you could answer these few short questions, we'd be happy to help!

• What are you planning to do with this compuer? Please be as specfic as possible.
  • What is your budget?
    1. Does this include a copy of Windows?
    2. Does this include peripheals (a keyboard, monitor, mouse, speakers, etc.)?
  • Are you from the United States or a different country? Are you ordering from your own country or from across borders?
    1. Wherever you may be from, does the store that you are planning to order from have a website? It's okay if it isn't in English, we can manage.
    2. If you are from the United States, do you live nearby a Microcenter?
  • Do you have any specific requests with the build?
    1. Do you plan on overclocking? If yes, do you have a specific goal in mind?
    2. Would you prefer the build to be particularly small?
    3. Would you prefer the build to be particularly quiet?
    4. In general, do you prefer this to be a computer that you can spend money on now and let it rest, or a box built for continuous upgrading?
    5. Do you ever plan on utilizing NVIDIA's SLI or AMD's CrossfireX technologies? These features, with a compatible motherboard, allow a user to link multiple identical graphic cards together for added performance. In real world terms, this lets you buy a second identical graphics card down the line as a relatively cheap and easy way to gain a fairly large boost in performance. However, this requires buying a SLI/CFX compatible motherboard and PSU now, which may result in slightly higher initial cost.

Once again, thank you in advance for taking the time to answer these, and I hope you enjoy your stay at OCF! :)

Hey Jazon, Yeah I agree, I'm going to go with the black after all. A SSD is definitely on my wish list; How are you enjoying your Mushkin? I've heard great things! It will be either Muskin or Corsair force, imo.

Hey Knufire, Thanks a bunch!

- Im planning on doing primarily gaming, basic-intermediate html, Quickbooks, Music,Video,File storage, and just mucking around!
- My budget is $1350 (+/- $20)
- OS : Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit is what I think i should use, not sure however
- I have all the peripheals as well

- I live just north of Boston and have a Microcenter located within 40 miles of me.

- I plan on OC this 3570k to ~ 4.0ghz and as close to stock voltage as I can get. I would like to get as long a life as I can on this chip.

- This build I think would be classified as a mid-build, not the cheapest parts, nor the most expensive

- Eventually I will run the GTX660ti in SLI however that may not be till next spring.

Thanks!

Oh and one last note, I'm buying all these parts either this afternoon or tomorrow, so again, feel free to chime in!!!!! Of course I will also be taking pictures of the entire build process. So add me/ stop by my page once in a while!

Thanks!

No need for the sabertooth unless you like its colors/theme. If you are going black a solid inexpensive mobo is Asrock Z77 Extreme 4. You may be able to get an SSD in with the money you saved on the motherboard ($90).

Get the 3570K at microcenter as its dirt cheap there compared to to newegg.

hey Juiced,i love this mushkin SD there cheep fast and haven't had a single problem with it yet,ive had several OCZ SSD's and while there fast drives they always gave me problems here and there except the one in my laptop seems to have been a good one=)

the asrock board they recommended is a good solid board,i personally like ASUS only these days for motherboards as ive had multiple failures with all others not to say other company's cant make good boards i just like to go with companys who haven't let me down.
personally i went with a sabertooth for a few reason besides the brand,one was looks,two was all the fan headers on the board and the cooling management built into it(i was trying for a dead silent system lots of slower fans instead of a few high powered ones)and three was the mil spec parts with 5 year warranty(wont have to worry about buying a replacement if i blow it lol)

the asrock board they recommended is a good solid board,i personally like ASUS only these days for motherboards as ive had multiple failures with all others not to say other company's cant make good boards i just like to go with companys who haven't let me down.
personally i went with a sabertooth for a few reason besides the brand,one was looks,two was all the fan headers on the board and the cooling management built into it(i was trying for a dead silent system lots of slower fans instead of a few high powered ones)and three was the mil spec parts with 5 year warranty(wont have to worry about buying a replacement if i blow it lol)

+1, but I get a LOT of criticism making those points. One only has to read the Newegg reviews on it (which inspired me) where there are ZERO DOAs. I also didn't have another bay to put a fan controller/monitor and i like how the board adjust those fan speeds according to demands. At idle and running most apps, its silent. I can't even see how a water loop would be much quieter.

The mil spec, well thats well debated here, but if these boards are running in the trenches of Afghanistan........ You've got to have some reliability when firing a missle from a drone or ordering a strike plus the heat of the desert...you need something TUFF to resist sand.:D

Guys, these boards are not running in the trenches of Afghanistan...

Newegg reviews are a joke, but a decent barometer of DOA. I assure you, there are some DOA's of these boards. The X58 gen of these boards were highly returned in fact... now, seems better, kudos to Asus. :)

Him, like you will get the same counter points (not criticism)... most boards have plenty of fan headers and cooling management/fan control on them so this isnt anything over another board. The Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 has 5+ headers with fan control for $100 less. They stand behind the product for 5 years though. I have nothing on that except there are other boards WITHOUT "military spec" parts that have 5 years as well with the same or more features. ;)

You guys believed the hype, and thats ok. There is NOTHING wrong with the board outside of the gimmicky parts and marketing. Our beliefs are not the minority... but that doesnt make you incorrect either, the reviews and testing and specifications comparisons do though. A rare few people believe it. I linked a review that showed the differences and while there may be some cooling differences. It doesnt matter. There are similar boards cheaper is all Im saying. :)

Last edited:
I've got 6 fan headers. I think the ASRock z77 only has 2, one CPU, one case fan. I wish there were a review of that board somewhere on the net with a detailed schematic of the fan headers.
mil spec only means its built with TUFF components to last under the highest temps.
I suppose the same argument could be made on any product's feature page, and labeled as hype. Just seems to be about what each individual's biases and brand loyalty. Really though, this is my first time going with ASUS, so far so good, but I see they have acquired a army of haters lately, and considering ASUS tech support, can't say I blame em. Those who go ASUS had better have the ability to figure things out themselves.

EDIT: Newegg reviewers may be a joke to you, but are they not also VERIFIED system builders/owners of such boards/products? Are there reviews any more/less credible than anyone here? Has there ever been anyone from here to post a review on a product they purchased from Newegg? What defines a master of hardware tech? Do they only reside here? Granted, some of the reviews are NOT verified owners, and those should be disregarded, while others are noobs or incompetant builders, which doesn't give them much credibility, but this is not (or should be considered) an "all or none" situation.

Last edited:
Just look at pictures of the board and count them... we have a review on the front page.. newegg is another resource.......................and in looking at the specifications, Asrock has SIX fan headers as well as fan controls for them.

My opinion on that board or any board has nothing to do with bias and brand loyalty. I will tell you straight up I take extreme offense to that comment (it wasnt pointed at my directly, but lord knows I was included in that group). I do my best, especially as an editor and reviewer at this site to be impartial. And from my exposure to other reviews and people in the "know's" opinions, its really gimmicky. Under that same guise, you should have purchased a MSI board, they are "Military Class III" Certified...

PS This is a quote I just read when searching what exactly military certified means:
Mil-STD-810 is a flexible standard that allows users to tailor test methods to fit the application. As a result, a vendor's claims of "...compliance to MIL-STD-810..." can be misleading. Because no commercial organization or agency certifies compliance, commercial vendors can create the test methods or approaches to fit their product. Suppliers can—-and some do——take significant latitude with how they test their products, and how they report the test results. When queried, many manufacturers will admit no testing has actually been done and that the product is only designed/engineered/built-to comply with the standard. This is because many of the tests described can be expensive to perform and usually require special facilities.
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIL-STD-810#MIL-STD-810G.2C_Part_One_-_General_Program_Guidelines

"Dont believe the hype" - Public Enemy

mil spec only means its built with TUFF components to last under the highest temps.
A lot of boards use the HiC Cap, SFC Chokes, and Solid Caps...(part of the Military standard). Some claim they use "better" caps than this even. Like the Asrock OCFormula I believe has dual layer HiC caps. I mean, that could be BS too, who knows? But nobody comes in speaking of those items like its the Gospel quite like you have and defended it so passionately (with virtually no empirical evidence), so they are not dispelled.

EDIT:
Newegg reviewers may be a joke to you, but are they not also VERIFIED system builders/owners of such boards/products? Are there reviews any more/less credible than anyone here? Has there ever been anyone from here to post a review on a product they purchased from Newegg?
Its not just me. Using the forum search type "funny newegg" and look at several threads, but especially the massive one. THAT is a lot of who order stuff at newegg and why we generally dismiss reviews from there.

Their reviews are less credible than a lot of members here, yes. Think about why...

Yes. My first review here was a Galaxy GTX470, and I bought a GTX680 to review because we werent getting seeded in time. What does that have to do with anything? I dont get the point of that statement. As a reviewer, I OWN the product. So whats the difference outside of not paying for it (be careful in your reply to this one...you infer I or anyone on the editorial or author staff here are schills it will get ugly.. :().

I do agree that it shouldnt be an all or nothing. DOA's, for the most part, are DOA's, but that doesnt mean some muppet newbie killed it and called it DOA either. Outside of the compatibility could also be a problem. Take them with a grain of salt, not as the gospel is all I am saying.

Last edited:
If you're going to be an editor in this world, you should also be prepared for critics, and not take offense to other ppl's point of view/opinions. Most writers learn this early on in their careers, especially when they become published. If you have a personal problem with me, take it up with a moderator, but I think I'm within the confines of my limits and shouldn't be silenced simply because I might disagree on a few things. I too have been around the technology world and exposed to quite a few IT professionals over the past 14 years, including the AITP.

Everyone has biases/personal favorites, and to say you don't, you're only fooling yourself.
I'm not questioning your reviews or impartial status with them. I just don't always agree with everything I read. That is my right to agree or disagree. If you're going to quote a reference, then also cite the source (APA guidelines, English 101)

I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings.

Even I, as a reviewer, have biases and favorites.
I'll even tell you exactly what they are!

I am biased towards parts that have a reasonable price and perform how they are supposed to, or better.
My favorite parts are exactly the same.

I, personally, do not care in the slightest what brand it is when I am writing a review. It doesn't matter and is not relevant.
When I'm not writing a review I do have preferences. I strongly dislike nvidia, don't especially like AMD, and think Intel are a bunch of pirates. I also think that the vast majority of technical support is terrible.
Lastly, I find EVGA to be offensive due to the prices they charge. Does that mean EVGA products get worse reviews? Not at all, observe the frontpage for a wonderful example.

Being prepared for critics does not make it unoffensive when someone says you're a crap reviewer.
You can play the "I'm within the rules" card all you like, and it's true, you haven't violated any of the specific rules. That doesn't mean that you are being polite, nice, or even reasonable, or that anybody who takes offense with you shouldn't.
It's possible to stay within the rules and be a complete annoying pain in the rear. Does that mean that it's encouraged? No.
Does that mean you, or I, or ED, or anybody else should? Hell no.

You are being offensive. If you like being offensive, keep it up.
If you would rather be respected, try being nice instead.

I dont see where you were asked to be quiet. Ever. All IM doing is simply stating my opinion as well. The difference being my opinion is more firmly rooted in facts with supporting evidence vs some random guys posts with no supporting evidence (APA Guidelines, English 101) I'm supposed to believe who constantly seems to position himself as a martyr in these situations in the end. If you cant handle the exchange in ideas and thoughts against your unsubstantiated opinions... well, that says enough I guess. I'M the person that linked that sabertooth didnt do much, you... nada. I'M the one posting military standards and what that means for consumers... you... nada. Im in the majority, the onus was on you to support your assertions. Honestly, PoleP, I struggle to see where I went wrong here outside of trying to clarify some points rooted in misinformation/marketing BS.

Everyone has biases/personal favorites, and to say you don't, you're only fooling yourself.
Bias and personal favorites are completely different things. I have favorite boards, but I am not biased because I like them. Look at the definitions of those words.

PS - Cited my source. :)

Last edited:
Yeah, no doubt.. sorry Juiced...

I boil over seeing the passive aggressive posturing and "martyrdom" going on here making me (and others in other threads) look bad for correcting information/having another opinion outside of his. The right thing is to not reply, but I love train wrecks and cant help it - Character flaw. Im just going to put the dude on ignore or something as I cant stand it anymore. He is skirting to close to calling this team schills for me to reply with a clear head anymore. I'll let others deal with this bull****. He has had issues here since day one, but sadly Im a hungry fish on looking for bait. Hook. Line. Sinker. You win PoleP.

Again, my bad juiced.

Ouch, I got spanked on that one.
My point wasn't to "win" anything, and I guess my words get interpreted differently than intended. Some terms like "schills" (which I never heard of) get put in my mouth, as well as "crap reviewer", which I never said.
I was just wanting to know where ED got that mil spec reference, thats all, and when a sentence is highlighted in a quote, there should be a citation, just like what a member post and someone hits the quote button to reply, we know who said that. If I don't cite a reference, its my opinion only or should be taken as that. Some things I can't cite simply because it came to me verbally, not written on the net, or comes from sources I can't recall.

The funny thing about hardware is its always mine that is getting bashed, not the other way around, so who is being really offended? Me? Naw, not really. Its others because I stand up for what I like, and they take offense to that. Don't put me on the defensive side of things, and I won't go on offense. "The best defense is a good offense" Can't seem to recall where I heard that. LOL

I'm learning that being respected here = +1s

Time to lighten up a bit

Yep. Glad you understand. Respecting folks who have been building PCs for years and are deep in the overclocking and review and the 'forum industry' can be a good thing. They know thier stuff.

You can dis your math teacher or your parents, but this is different.

I have been slapped twice (3 times?) here for mad assedhat comments to max frustration over my beliefs and too much Jack n Ice. I'd rather be part of the fold and put my arguments forward with common sence and human undersatnding. I have survived. I like these folks, don't need to loose my smart hard working friends I hang out at the bar with.

You can have diff opinions, but honestly, they have no basis most of the time. I guess it's a personality issue. You have butted heads for no reason in many threads. Quit getting offended. Or don't post.

Last edited:
Haha wowie, i just got out of work a couple hours ago, wtf happened lol. Everyone has their opinions thats what makes this world we live in great. Take everything with a grain of salt.
Anyways haha, yeah I'm excited I'm ordering all of these parts tomorrow, I'm going to need a great bit of help I suspect putting it all together and all. Any last minute thoughts?! Im going with all the parts i listed...
Is Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit the os I want to install? Will the 660ti and the sabertooth mate and make beautiful graphics? or do they not mix well?

Like i said i cross my t's and dot my i's

Thanks

W7 64 Pro OEM you want. You need a 4 page junk manual and a year of support?

Your GPU/CPU/Mobo is fine.

Dotting t's and i's would of been 2-4 weeks in our subforums to decide. Posting yesterday and buying today isn't a lot of T and I.

Back