• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Got an Idea from a teacher to day

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

||Console||

So I am in trades school right now I stopped into the Hvac dept today to ask if the teacher knew any one that could build me a single stage system . Or if I build it if he knew someone that would charge it for me . He said we could charge it at the school no problem ( so that's good to know ) .
He asked me what I was using now and I told him I run a water system . He went on to tell me that some info I didn't totally understand ( I plan on picking his brain more when i have the time ) I figured some one here might know what he meant . He was saying that I could get my loop down to 34 dec f if i used a compressor and a coil and run my loop through the coil or a Bigger pipe that my loop and run in it . ( he kept saying somthing about a brine solution)

If any one has a clue about what im talking about then fill me in this sound like somthing fun to try .

He's talking about a water chiller. Would be easiest to understand exactly what he is doing, if he can sketch a simple diagram, as there's a few ways to do it.

He likely isn't familiar with mounting the evaporator for the single stage directly onto the CPU, which would be ideal, rather than using the water loop anymore.

The problem with 34C loop temps is condensation - you would need to insulate all of your WC tubing, very well. Condensation would be a pain to deal with.

If he was talking about a brine solution, he's talking about lowering the freezing point of the water. The problem with a brine solution, is that it has salt in it. Salt increases waters ability to carry electrons, which means it increases oxidation and reduction reactions - it makes corrosion happen faster. Better to not deal with corrosion, or condensation.

One way you can use a compressor as a chiller is to drop the coils from the compressor into a resevoir, then pump that water through your WC loop. Another way is to do the same, but drop your radiator in the resevoir, so that the WC loop is isolated from the chiller reservoir.

Either way, if you have someone that can do the charging for you, I'd build a traditional single stage... Easier that way to insulate, and you don't get into a chilled water loop that may be harder to maintain.

Really theres no sense in making a chiller system just to cool your water down. You wont gain much in the way of oc'ing compared to a good water system. If you go the chiller route, Id run it direct to the CPU.

Either way you would get condensation. Chillers will cool the water down to around 38-42 F usually which will condensate very quickly with any amount of humidity. If you do go the route and need insulation, send me a PM as I can hook you up :D

I was talking to some of the guys from that class and I got from them what you guys described basicly the same thing as using a window ac unit and putting the coil in a cooler with a liquid then putting your rad in the cooler .

I think I will try and build a SS over the next few months and get him to charge it . But that will be a side project buying my first house on Nov 1 and need to do work there first .

I was talking to the teacher on friday and he was telling me that if I use a big reservoir (ex 55gal drum) and use a window ac unit to cool that I could keep above 0 but still have Tonz of cooling capacity .

He is going to give me a compressor and a TXV and some pipe so I can get started on my SS project .

Back