• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Aluminium vs. Steel

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kidmissileproof

Hey all.

Just got back into modding a bit ago and a project at work fell into my lap that I can't wait to get crackin' at.

We need a custom display case built with a barebones PC, LCD and LCD Controller card. I have all the hardware/software working and now I need to build a case for it. This is the only area where I have no experience so I was hoping someone could help me out.

I have my design drawn up in vectorworks and the metal shop is ready to go. The only thing is I'm not sure of is what thickness is best for mounting circuit boards. I can pick between aluminium (not die cast unfortunately) and steel. Weight is a factor as this thing will get lugged around to different spots.

After doing a bit of research I found answers ranging from .8mm to 2mm and I was wondering if anyone could give me a more exact answer? I picked up a piece of 1mm aluminium and could bend it without much trouble which is bad news for the circuit boards putting stress on the standoffs, so i'm leaning towards 1.5-2mm range.

Thanks for your time,

K.M. :attn:

Since weight is a factor, go with aluminum. It is MUCH lighter than steel. I also prefer modding aluminum to modding steel, dremeling steel fires sparks everywhere and takes a lot longer, whereas for aluminum, you use a damp rag to pick up the dust and you're good to go. I think it has the disadvantage of being more expensive than steel, but I wouldn't imagine it'd impact your project too much.

Basically, aluminum.

Without me being a metalugist, I feel it would be safe to say I'd go with the 2mm aluminum. Considering though that the motherboard tray doesn't take up that much space and area, you could go with steel too since the weight wouldn't be that much additonal added, as steel is stronger by thickness comparision.

2mm should be fine for the case. For the motherboard tray however, I'm not 100% sure if it's thick enough to have enough threads for the standoff to securely screw standoffs into.

Are you going to use any bracing in the system? Such as angle iron or square tube? If so, you can go thinner with the sheet metal. Not having seen your design, the complete desk (?) I can say with some experience that bracing will allow quite a bit of play in final durability especially if you are going to be moving It around a lot.

2mm should be fine for the case. For the motherboard tray however, I'm not 100% sure if it's thick enough to have enough threads for the standoff to securely screw standoffs into.

if he has the tools he could stay with 2mm alu and cut/make a hole and press-fit a nut/standoff in the hole. if it is to be more permanent he could just use thread locker to keep the screw in place, if not using a nut/standoff. since this is going to be moved around, i wouldnt any anything coming lose. i would go with a pre-fit nut/standoff and use thread-locker. might be a pain to undo but that is why they make electric drills. :)

Thanks for all the info! It sounds like 2mm aluminium and the thread locker to start.

Any thoughts on insulators to put between the PCB and alumi? PolyPropylene?

thanks again. =)

Back