• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FPS Mouse and keyboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Disected

Registered
:welcome: I consider myself a hardcore player and over the year's I've played FPS/MMORPG's and I've conquered the scoreboards. However a time has come for me to get rid of my g5 mouse and my g15 keyboard. They are just worn the hell out. I am currently looking for a mouse and keyboard that does great in FPS (planetside 2) and pretty damn good in MMO's (i can live without macro keys, never really used them). I've been looking at the Steelseries Sensei, Steelseries Xai, R.A.T 9 cyborg, Razer Mamba, and Razer Deathadder, Logitech G9x, Logitech G500, Corsair M60. I'm a very indecisive buyer and I'm having a very hard time deciding. Here's what I've heard so far about each Product:

Steelseries Sensei: Great laser and tracking, have not seen any cons, thought it's not very customizable.

Corsair M60: Have not read anything on it really but looks solid.

Steelseries Xai: Great laser and tracking but buttons on both sides can get annoying and the comfortability is eh.

R.A.T 9: Great comfortability and good tracking, DPI precision button, rather heavy.

Razer Mamba: This one i hear has a'lot of tracking issues even though it claims to have amazing tracking (tracking often jumps around).

Razer Deathadder: I hear lot's of good things about this mouse, Great tracking, very comfortable and looks great, though i also see lots of posts saying that it has tracking issues too and can only be played at 1800 DPI due to a specific bug with the model (neg acceleration unless 1800 DPI).

Logitech G500: Good tracking, very heavy though.

Logitech G9x: Small, good tracking, can cramp your hand though due to being so tiny.

I'm looking for a mouse that comes in priorities of:
1) Precision tracking
2) Comfortability
3) Long Lasting
4) Customizable

I'f you own any of the products listed or have heard about the issue's listed and have/have not had the issue's please tell me. Also if there's a fix. Along with the product you list please tell me why, don't just fanboy out. Also recommend a mouse pad to go with it. I hear a'lot of good things about Razer Mouse pads and Steelseries Mouse pads. Thanks for taking the time to help a fellow gamer out. :comp:

Last edited:
Totally forgot to list Keyboards, mostly because I'm not sure lol. List a good keyboard too please. :attn:

going to keep an eye on this one because my sidewinder mouse has about had it after several thousand hours of UT2004, Tribes and what have you.

when it comes to mouse pads i wouldnt rule out the thick rubber backed fabric topped guys. some times a bit of friction can be a saving grace. if i have a slick mouse pad then i would be all over the place. try one out, their cheap. i do realize every ones tastes are different but i found it improved accuracy when it came down to small movements.

as for keyboards i just use a tall keyed (as opposed to laptop type keys) dell slim i got in a dumpster. its about worn out though

Hey all, went with the Deathadder and Black Widow ultimate from razer. The keyboard is fantastic, the way the buttons feel, go down, and pop up, even the sound (oh god the sound, its just amazing) is great. The deathadder is very comfortable, now to just get it tuned which i hear is a PITA. Thanks all and good luck! :comp:

Well I love my rat 7 I have it on the widest and heaviest config out of preference but it can shrink up pretty small and light if you want it that way. Enought extra buttons to map without being obnoxious and the mode switch is nice to.

As for keyboard I just use a standard chicklet keyboard I got for free xD not sure why you would need any extra features.

And a mousepad that works surprisingly well is just a large sheet of art paper made for painting. Its thick and tracks well. And you can write notes on it!

Logitech G500(not sure why your concerned about weight as you can change its weight) . Far and away your best mouse for the cash. Some say it doesn't have enough buttons, but, I MMO, and really... do you need those bindings???

also buy the k90 corsair board. i have the k60 and its superb

I loathe for my amber G5 w/ rubberized grip that I lost at school.

My brother has been using a G115 for 3 years now. Most keys are completely shiny from use; however, it functions perfectly.

I'm very partial to Logitech peripherals.

Personally i have the Deathadder and corsair K60. the DA isnt bad kinda big for my hands but still feels great, mouse button 4 and 5 are shifted too far forward for my nature grip on the mouse(claw) so its kind of a reach to hit them, but overall great mouse. as for the k60 its a pretty rad keyboard, the only thing i dislike about it is its not fully mech, esc, f1-12, and insert/delete/home block are not mech. i dont use these much but when i do im like "damn that felt like crap" i have become so accustomed to the mech style that i cannot stand to type on this POS rubber dome i am using at work right now.

this is my first pair of actual gaming peripherals so they are the only ones i can speak of. i highly recommend the K60 and only half recommend the DA. mice are usually more personal preference anyway

Edit: :attn:

. i dont use these much but when i do im like "damn that felt like crap" i have become so accustomed to the mech style that i cannot stand to type on this POS rubber dome i am using at work right now.

:
Same feeling I have, love my mech keyboard and now can't stand using anything else. Ignorance is bliss as the others never bothered me til I got this one. Kind of why I'm afraid to grab a good monitor, I'm happy with the one I have but I know if I grab a nice one I'll never be able to use a crappy one ever again lol.

Back