• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

dual boot for the blind

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Psittac

I got a ssd (sataII) for my friend who is blind, he is used to a version of jaws screen reading software that only works on xp, but I was told that the ssd will be faster and last longer on vista or newer. I have a copy of vista and my friend has a free screen reader that works on it but he isn't as comfortable with the new screen reader.

I was hoping to set up a dual boot configuration with both xp and vista to let him get used to the vista set up. Problem is theres no screen reader available at boot.

I googled one result and they mentioned changing the boot file from within windows to which system is default, maybe I could just let him load one os then change it and reboot if he wants the other?

I've never dual boot just ms software before, always when putting in a version of linux to go with ms. Will a second copy of MS put it's own dual boot manager in while installing?

also how do I edit the boot loader? don't even know what it's called or where it is let alone how to modify it.

any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Download Page [Scroll Down and use any Name & Email to Download] http://neosmart.net/download.php?id=1

Simply CHECKING default Operating System - saves default OS. There is no need to click on Save Settings to change default OS.

Attachments

• EasyBCD.jpg
    EasyBCD.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 50
Another problem I just thought of is that the reason vista or newer works faster and lasts longer then XP is that it can use AHCI (if I remember correctly)

I don't think theres any way for him to switch it on or off.... any ideas?

I also have the option of running xp from his hdd and vista from his ssd, but if I remember correctly you can't run one drive as AHCI and one as IDE

Windows XP can use AHCI, but you need to switch to AHCI, then install Windows XP from scratch.

If you already installed Windows XP under IDE then you can switch to AHCI, it's difficult and complicated but it can be done.

oh ok, reinstall is no problem, was planning on it

guess i'll have to look into xp on a ssd more then

Back