• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

System Build Advice- Speakers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Viper69

I used to have Boston Acoustics DigtalBA735s connected to a SB Live discrete sound card. For my gaming and music purposes they were good.

W/my new build below in my sig file, I'm going with onboard sound.

But I'm stumped as to what I should get for speakers really. I don't have a large selection to listen where I live. I've seen the following

Logitech Z313,
Logi Z623
Logi Z523
and some Isignia's at BestBuy (never heard of them)

The Klipsch 2.1 set up was nice, but pricey!

I play all sorts of games, from FPS to RTS, and listen to all sorts of music. I don't crank up my music all that loud, and I won't be hooking up my computer to a stereo system either.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Isignia has been around for almost 10 years and while on the cheaper end there stuff lasts and sounds pretty good ive had one of there home surround systems on my living room tv for years now.

klipsch are great but like you said pricey and only stereo:( if you game i would go with at least some 5.1's

as far as Logitech's go they work pretty good and have a fair price.

also keep in mind that these days you really dont have to stick to pc speakers with HDMI and optical on pretty much everything you can just get yourself a home surround system if you have room for the receiver in your office,you'll pay about the same for 5.1/7.1 but have much better sound.

if your just looking for some 2.1's for music whatnot then i would just go with the logitechs.

For onboard sound use you want to use the optical out to a setup that will decode it at the reciever etc.

If you use the PC for good music you'll want proper speakers.

klipsch are great but like you said pricey and only stereo:( if you game i would go with at least some 5.1's

as far as Logitech's go they work pretty good and have a fair price.

also keep in mind that these days you really dont have to stick to pc speakers with HDMI and optical on pretty much everything you can just get yourself a home surround system if you have room for the receiver in your office,you'll pay about the same for 5.1/7.1 but have much better sound.

if your just looking for some 2.1's for music whatnot then i would just go with the logitechs.

For onboard sound use you want to use the optical out to a setup that will decode it at the reciever etc.

If you use the PC for good music you'll want proper speakers.

Thanks, well the last time I built a system was 10 yrs ago, so that explains why I never heard of them. All of my parts except my PSU have lasted.
I'd like a 5.1/7.1, but I dont' think I have the space to put speakers behind me standing in the room in the middle of everything.

Conum: I wouldn't know, for onboard sound why would I use the optical out?
AND if I were to use the optical out, how would I know if the speakers I get can handle it?

I am not going to get a stereo receiver just for my computer so I can play games and listen to some music when I type, nor "proper" speakers. My basic BADigital 735s were good enough really for my purposes.

the surround speakers that come with home surround systems are not like they used to be they are small now and have big sound many even have wireless rear speakers you just hang them on a wall behind you,ive been looking at a set from samsung myself the receiver even has "tubes" for a warmer sound.

there are many choices out these days i would go take a look at a local bestbuy and see what will work best for you:)

There are 3 systems I'm looking at
I have $50 of Dell store credit. These are the 3 they have. I don't need loud speakers, I know Z623 put out a lot of sound, nor do I need heavy bass either.

What would people pick from the 3 listed below?

Logitech Z623 2.1 THX certified (I don't think that matters for games though)
Logitech Z523 2.1
Or Creative's Creative Inspire T6160 5.1

When I read on the net, you can good/bad/mediocre reviews on all three I listed

my wife has a set of the creative inspire's and she enjoys them,not loud enough for my pref when gaming but heck im half deaf from to much loud music while growing up lol.
guess it will depend on weather surround is important for your usage:)

i would guess with your GTX 670 that you play games on it so i would stick with at least some 5.1's.

Can you spend a bit more?

Logitech is good enough.

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/speakers-audio/home-pc-speakers/surround-sound-speaker-z506

The back of the mobo has a SPDIF (optical cable) that you can plug into the sub part. The DAC in the speakers will decode the sound and they will amplify it. That's the preferred way now, or at least lots better than the mini RCA jacks. It's a pure digital signal, no noise or signal loss.

I have a Logitech Z5500 for years and it's always treated me well for my PC. Alas, the Z5500 setup isn't made anymore.

Can you spend a bit more?

Logitech is good enough.

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/speakers-audio/home-pc-speakers/surround-sound-speaker-z506

The back of the mobo has a SPDIF (optical cable) that you can plug into the sub part. The DAC in the speakers will decode the sound and they will amplify it. That's the preferred way now, or at least lots better than the mini RCA jacks. It's a pure digital signal, no noise or signal loss.

I have a Logitech Z5500 for years and it's always treated me well for my PC. Alas, the Z5500 setup isn't made anymore.

Dell carries those as well. I am reluctant to get those because they don't have a metal grill over the speakers, it uses a flimsy mesh that I know will break sooner or later. Read one review that said upon opening one of the meshes was broken. If those had a metal grill I'd get them w/out a second thought. I've seen them in person too.

i got this logitech x-530 5.1 system back in 2004 when i bought it with an xbox and halo2.
that was a long time ago, and it wasn't hooked up to anything for 2 of those years.

one area that recently failed and had to be repaired in that time was the rca wire at the center/sub 3.5mm connector.

the wire inside the plastic sheath actually deteriorated and no longer sent a signal to the sub. i had to destroy an old set of polk computer speakers from the early 90's i had in storage to splice a new 3.5mm connector in. i tried to resolder the original connector but it was so fragile it crumbled. the 20+ year old polk speakers however had cables that seemed to be more robust and in better condition. so that is something to consider about logitech sound hardware.

long story short, i plan on replacing the rca cables when i get the motivation as they may be hindering performance.

Back