• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

5850 overclock vs 5870 bios flash

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mandrake4565

Mr. Clean Senior Member
I've been trying to see how far I can push the O/C on my 5850. So far I haven't been able to get it above 1005/1145. Even with the core clock set at 725, no mater what I do I cannot get the memory clock above 1150. Temps are not my problem, at least I don't think, max temp under load is 62c. I know ever card is different but I've seen ones with the memory clocked in the 1200's. Would flashing a 5870 BIOS make a difference or is it just the limits of my card?

If you are at your max voltage then that is your card's limit. Memory does not make much of a difference so don't bother with it too much. My 6970 is limited to 1ghz on my max voltage and the difference between 1ghz and 975mhz is maybe 1/2 a frame per second difference.

Flashing a 5870 will just corrupt your card. I flashed my 6950 to make it become a 6970, you can't just flash it to expect higher clocks. All a flash will do is maybe up voltages but you can do that in MSI Afterburner. So just take what you can get, and upgrade if performance is lacking.

My max on my best 5850 was 1000/1200. Anything north of that would cause issues. I had several that couldn't even do 1000 so you do have a decent card.

Back