• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4g hotspot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Psittac

I have a lot of time to kill at school and their internet is severly restricted. I overheard someone in class mention that for an extra fee you can make your phone into a wifi hotspot. Is that possible? I have T-Mobile and all I could find on their site are devices purely for hotspot.

Also I was wondering if theres simply a way to connect my phone to my laptop and bypass the wifi.

I just want to watch youtube on a screen larger then my phone so i'm not as bored.

edit: I found out what it's called, it's tethering. I just can't find anything on t-mobiles website about how to add it. I don't know my account password so i'll need to have my sister call them tomorrow, she handles all our phone stuff.

I managed to connect my phone and tether it but my laptop says it has no service.

Last edited:
If you have an Android phone, just grab the FoxFi app. Note that on most phones, it'll kill your battery faster than you can charge.

i've owned 4+ android phones, and they all had the wifi hotspot feature built right into the phone, no additional apps needed

Also, if you are watching a lot of videos be careful you don't hit your data limit! When I had yet to get internet setup in the new house, we didn't have internet for just half a week and just normal browsing hit my cap quite quickly (although it is only 1GB).

A lot of phones have a built in wifi hotspot or tethering.
With t mobile (and possibly others), you have to pay for wifi hotspot to use that, but not for usb tethering. I use fox fi when I need a wifi hot spot, otherwise I just do USB tethering.
And yeah, streaming lots of video will hit your data cap fast.

I tried USB tethering the other night and it didn't work, at least my pc said no network found. I'll try it again if that doesn't work I'll try foxfi

Thanks

oh my limit is 2gb so I might look into a different plan cause I've got 4-5hrs a day 4 days a week to kill.

Back