• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrading parts feedback/questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bubbi

Registered
Hey fellow Overclocker members,

I have a few questions that I need help and answered.

So currently, I noticed it was time for an upgrade because I much
messed up my CPU when I first got my computer. I kept OC'ing it and returning it back to default settings. Now, whenever I try to overclock my AMD Phenom II 1090T, it would start becoming unstable around 3.5GHz so I thought about upgrading. Back then, I didn't know what I was doing but now I've learned more about computers. I will be using my old parts also so I don't have to pay as much. The only thing I will be replacing is CPU, GPU, and Mobo.

I want to switch to Intel/Nvidia because rendering graphics and editing short films was too slow for my current computer.

I plan to get 3x ASUS VH236H because one monitor is not enough and I need to multitask a lot.

I also plan to get an Intel I7 3770k and a GTX 660 TI for gaming and graphics design.

1. So my questions are what motherboard should I get? (I plan on staying with one card and upgrading in the future and I also have a sound card)
  2. Will a single GTX 660 TI support this a 3 monitor setup? I was thinking about just using DVI splitters and I would be only gaming on the center monitor. (The video card has to be below $300)
  3. If I don't end up getting a 3770k, what's another CPU that you guys prefer that is cheaper?
  4. What CPU cooler do you recommend? (I have an H60 right now)

Can anyone can drop some feedback, answers, and suggestions for me please? Thanks. *Sorry, English isn't my first language.*

Last edited:
I think an i5 would suffice for your video editing and design needs, but the i7 would go somewhat faster for those applications. However, the i7 would yield little or no benefit to gaming.

The GTX 660ti will run 3 screens, using only one for gaming.

I think an i5 would suffice for your video editing and design needs, but the i7 would go somewhat faster for those applications. However, the i7 would yield little or no benefit to gaming.

The GTX 660ti will run 3 screens, using only one for gaming.

Thanks for the information. If I do get i5 instead, which cpu do you prefer getting?
Please note in mind that I want a future proof CPU.

Then get a 3970K CPU and a 680 GPU, and plan to add another in 1-2 years.

Future proofing a CPU is only good for two years.

If you plan on gaming on 3 monitors, you'll need TWO GPUs and get no less than 4GB on EACH card.

The H60 is fine for basic usage. It's less capable than better air coolers, but for your needs it should be fine. Look at the H100 or the new Thermaltake 120x2 cooler if you feel you need more CPU cooling.

Then get a 3970K CPU and a 680 GPU, and plan to add another in 1-2 years.

Future proofing a CPU is only good for two years.

If you plan on gaming on 3 monitors, you'll need TWO GPUs and get no less than 4GB on EACH card.

The H60 is fine for basic usage. It's less capable than better air coolers, but for your needs it should be fine. Look at the H100 or the new Thermaltake 120x2 cooler if you feel you need more CPU cooling.

What mobo do you prefer for a single GPU?
I'll only be gaming on one monitor so 2 GPUS is not necessary for now.

Back