• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fan Cooling RAM - worth anything?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BachOn

I've got 16 Gb (4 sticks) of G.Skills RAM. 2133. On the vague theory that many electronic things run better and longer if they are kept cool, I was wondering if I could use a fan to cool these just a bit more? :)

I have a small, quiet radial style blower. It has an opening just the right size to blow air between these sticks of RAM. I've got a way to mount it without much fuss. It would blow from end-to-end through the sticks from about a 1/2 inch away. It has a fairly tight air path, even though this isn't a high powered unit.

The G.Skills have their own built-in heatsinks. But I wondered if the blower might help them run even cooler. This might help when the temps inside the case climb. Moving air is generally cooler - even if only slightly.

I'm curious. Have any of you tried something like this? And does it possibly impact on overclocking when you increase RAM voltage?

BachOn

You CAN use one sure, however, DDR3 runs so cool, I wouldnt bother. Unless you are pouring on the voltage (which I only recommend to do so when benchmarking) its not needed at all. Your system will need updated before the ram temperatures shorten its lifespan.

Last edited:
I water cool my CPU. And I do like to overclock. My I5 2500K runs at 4.8. So I might want to tinker with voltage to up the clock.

But thanks for the input.

BachOn

I meant to say BENCHMARKING, instead of overclocking. Outside of benchmarking, there is little point to overclock ram outside of the fun of tinkering... little to no performance gains to be had in the real world.

If you keep DDR3 up to 1.65V then you don't really need any additional cooling for memory. You may need it only if you have really small case or almost no airflow.
Most IC are designed to keep data without errors at least up to 80°C that you will probably never see even with some dust and no fans in the case.

I had some DDR3 modules that ran hot which was a surprise to me. As Earthdog stated DDR3 ram run pretty cool and do not need additional cooling unless you're raising the voltage to them (as benching).

Thanks for the input, everyone. Guess I'll spend my time thinking up another wild idea or two.

BachOn

Back