• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lag on 1gigabit network?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pierre3400

annnnnnd it's gone
Hey guys,

I lost my internet today (yay for 3g saving my life) but, this has "forced" me to sit down and watch things..

I my main rig i got a 1tb drive with media stored on it, and im using my second rig to watch that media.

I am getting lag out on the media! How is this possible? Why cant it stream clean?:-/

Copy a file from the server to your system and watch the transfer speed in task manager.

is your 2nd rig also gigabit? Are largepackets enabled on both? do you have a firewall that is constantly snooping at everything on your network that could be slowing things down?

can the cpu handle the data :D lol just wild shot

what size are the files?

Sorry for the late response.

I found that the main issue was when accessing my 1,5TB drive, where i store Tv shows.

Even with internal moving of files, to and from the 1,5Tb speeds at slow! It spent 27hours transferring 80Gb of data, which to me, isnt right with my system setup.

I am going to replace with a new ATA-600 2Tb drive.

The Connection between the 2 pc's are as follows. My pc is hooked directly with cable into my Netgear Router, which is a 1000mbit router. Then from the router i have a 10meter lan cable going to a brand new 1000mbit 5 port switch by the TV (Xbox hook up, and other things we use these days) From this switch a short cable into the HTPC also running 1000mbit connection.

When transferring from the main rig to my HTPC i would get between 6/12mb/s on a 3,5gb file, which isnt right, but like i said, i think the error is in the harddisk. Will follow this up once the drive is replaced.

27 hours to transfer 80gb of data is 0.84mb/sec. That would certainly be your issue.

27 hours to transfer 80gb of data is 0.84mb/sec. That would certainly be your issue.

Yes, and that is between 2 harddrives hooked up to the same motherboard!
A new 2Tb has been ordered to replace it.

I think the 1,5gb is my issue. I have no issues with other drives, but i havnt done much testing.

What transfer speeds should i be looking at on average when transferring between to rigs over 1000mbit network?

it should be prety close to maxing out the read speed from your hard drive or your gigabit. gigabit has a theoretical 125MB/s (not bit, byte) [1000 gbit\8 = 125 MB] and most hard drives are right around the 90-140MB/s range depending on the drive so you could stream some pretty hi def stuff :)

Back