• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

H80 push or pull?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NoMonitor

Registered
CM Storm Scout Case
Rampage III Formula motherboard
Intel® Core™ i7-970 3.2GHz (6 core/12 thread)
Corsair H80 water cooling
BFG 1000w 36A (BFGR1000WEXPSU) power supply
OCZ 6GB DDR3 (OCZ3P1866C9LV2G 6GB triple channel RAM kit)
MSI GTX 560ti Twin Frozr II 2GB GDDR5/OC and nVidia GeForce GT430
2x 1TB SATA Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

My top fan in the Cooler-Master Storm Scout case is larger than the others. It is pulling cool air in. [140mm]
My Corsair H80 which sits directly below and behind the top fan has both fans pushing hot air out. [120mm each in series with radiator]
My front lower fan (at HDD bays) is pulling cool air in. [140mm]
My case side has two fans pushing air out. [120mm each]

Now onto my question... What's more efficient? The H80 pushing out, or pulling in?

Hey, welcome to the forums.

Pulling in is more efficient but will also be more noisy because it will be sucking air in through the air grate. The fan blades spin really close to the metal holes and it creates more of a vacuum noise. Where as the fan when positioned to blow out will have the blades a bit further away from the metal holes due to the placement of the plastic and the fan motor, and the fan itself. (if you look at the fan you will see what I'm talking about.) That's why I have mine pushing air out. If you have good airflow in the case it won't make much of a difference anyways though.

Yeah, my airflow is great and I barely get up to near 1/2 of my TJmax under an hour stress test with it set up this way...

I switched it around to pushing hot out when I put it back together last; Still one fan screw that I couldn't find the hole for (i know I know haha...)

Hard to find an unguided screw hole 3" from the outside of the case blind, especially if the others are already in.

Yeah, my airflow is great and I barely get up to near 1/2 of my TJmax under an hour stress test with it set up this way...

I switched it around to pushing hot out when I put it back together last; Still one fan screw that I couldn't find the hole for (i know I know haha...)

Hard to find an unguided screw hole 3" from the outside of the case blind, especially if the others are already in.

If you need the assistance of a drunk blind man to get the screw in, look on Craigs list. If you can't find one and your old enough, have a few drinks. Won't be blind but you can close your eyes.:rofl:

Anyhoo, the diff will be little. Play with it if you need to. Once temps are good and your happy with the results no need to go for that last .05% temp change unless you like to tinker. But tinker away, looks like you got a great handle on your case cooling.

Back