• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual Processor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kurgan813

I just picked up a dual 933 Pentium III...

I read the messages about affinity, etc but I want to verify...

Right now processing two work units in seti driver is taking 7.5 hrs for two units...

should I create two seti folders for seti driver and place the shortcut to seti1 and seti2 EXEs in the startup folder of this adv. Win2000 server machine?

I should leave the affinity unchecked for both (just verifying).

what should I expect the times to be for each unit to make sure the seti's are being split between the processors for maximum processing?

If any other info is needed from me, just let me know.

Thanks,

Jim (kurgan813)

7.5 hours sounds right, you can do it either way. Only difference is with one set up you only see one of the progresses. To check the cpu usage right-click the toolbar at the bottom of your window and select taskmanager. Check in there that it is using most of the cycles. Nice set-up by the way.

The simplest thing to do is just set maximum processes to 2 in seti driver. Affinity doesn't seem to make much difference one way or another. You can't do anything to split seti between the 2 processors either - it's not a multithreaded program.

i DID try to setup our CLC/Spy/Driver combo in 2 folder, and setup each individually. even i've rename Driver/Spy into Driver1/Spy1 etc. i still couldn't get it working right??!!

e.g. the folder1's Spy1 seems to also controlling folder2's Driver2 also!! so, when i check "hide client....." on Spy1, it also hide the Driver2!! and checking on the task manager, it shows 3 CLC w/ 2 of them r running??

how come?? what did i do wrong??

currently "only" using Driver, and set max. processing to "2". but would like to get 2 Spy running so it shows both WUs' progress!! u know, i keep checking on the progress ALL DA TIME!!

any idea????...............:confused:

If you do the dual SETI folder setup then you need to open with a text editor each SETIDRriver.cfg file and add the following line
"- cpu N" where N is the number or processor SETIDriver is running, starting with 0.....that way you are specifing with SETIDriver runs with each CPU.

If you want to check the other advanced clc commands, click here

Mictlan said:
If you do the dual SETI folder setup then you need to open with a text editor each SETIDRriver.cfg file and add the following line
"- cpu N" where N is the number or processor SETIDriver is running, starting with 0.....that way you are specifing with SETIDriver runs with each CPU.

If you want to check the other advanced clc commands, click here

r u saying set the max. processing WU? i set 1 on each Driver since it's 2 Driver in 2 folder, right?

i checked Task Manager, and it did show each WU is running in different cpus. the only problem is, if it's running 1 copy of the "team combo", it's fine. but if i open another copy of the team combo in different folder, it seems all messed up.....:rolleyes:

currently using SETIWatch that u've suggested to me. but it still couldn't show live progress of both WUs. good thing is at least it does log all of the WUs.

guess i have to settle w/ this ....

LandShark said:

r u saying set the max. processing WU? i set 1 on each Driver since it's 2 Driver in 2 folder, right?

currently using SETIWatch that u've suggested to me. but it still couldn't show live progress of both WUs. good thing is at least it does log all of the WUs.

guess i have to settle w/ this ....

You need to open each SETIDriver with a Maximum processes setted to 1. If you added the - cpu N flag, each of them will start on different CPUs, and when you check it on SETIWatch you'll see two WU been crunching.

In SETIWatch you should set each and every folder of your cache (so you can monitor de Angle Rangle of the following WUs) and then point it to the place were you have each SETIDriver so you can see if they are crunching. There is a new setup in the latest version so you can configure the SETIDriver as a caching program.

i'm currently using just one Driver w/ setting of 2 WUs processing. and it seems fine when assigning each CPU for one WU. just couldn't see both WUs' stats in Watch tho. only one at a time. but it did log all WUs' stats tho.

Back