• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which 7970 to get? (Reference)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Radeon28

Greetings, been awhile since I've posted on the boards, but I've finally found the time to build a new rig. I have decided on a 7970 for this rig, I just don't know which make to get. I plan on water-cooling the card a few months down the line, and from what I've read on the forums this requires a "reference" card; this isn't a term I am too familiar with since the last time I water-cooled we used universal blocks and not full coverage blocks.

If anyone could tell me how to identify a reference card, I would appreciate it. I have been looking at MSI, Sapphire, and ASUS cards since they sort of look like the AMD reference cards on the outside.

Example: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127652

Any help would be awesome!

Yep, that's basically a reference design card (or looks like it, but can't say for sure since there's no side view) with that fan shroud, here's an example of another -
20120205_201552.jpg
Below is another, the card on the right is a Sapphire Reference card.
20120109_214010.jpg

For sure these are reference design cards as I'd gotten them at launch, no 3rd party cooler cards were available at launch. These cards have the same PCB, and fan shroud, only difference is the sticker or decals stuck on them.

The PCB is the only part that really needs to be reference for me, since I want to ensure I can get a full cover block for the graphics card. Now I just need to determine which make to go with; I am leaning towards Sapphire.

As far i could read with a search on google, there ARE blocks claimed to fit non reference designs. But also people saying those do not fit.

Some people are using a swiftec bloc: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1695577&highlight=sapphire+7950+950+mhz+edition&page=3

http://www.overclock.net/t/1265136/...ck-for-radeon-hd7900-series-hd7970-and-hd7950

This is just IF you cant find Reference cards. Letting you know, yes it can be done. But its not plug and play. I may be force into having to same with my non red sapphire, time will tell if i can cool 2x enough.

All reference and most other are generally the same cards. Difference is usually in cooling type and nothing else.
Non-reference can be called only some cards on the market from most expensive series with better power section like Lightnings or ASUS Matrix series.

I'm using D-Tek Fuzion block on my 7970 Lightning just because full covers cost too much and I'm sometimes switching cooling anyway.

Full cover is good if you are not planning to switch card for longer ( like 2 years+ ;) ).
Here is EK compatibility configurator for their blocks. That MSI from 1st post is on the list. Check other cards as they have many popular series in their database.

just price of that block isn't supported by my wallet :D
If you are not going to break any records then standard MSI/Sapphire or anything else won't be much worse but will be much cheaper. Lightnings are still expensive but main difference you will notice only on sub zero cooling. If you find cheap Lightning or ASUS Matrix then of course it's better idea as power section is much better ( not that it's making any special difference for games ).

Last edited:
Back