• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

7900GRE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rainless

Old Member
What in blue hell is THIS??!

1000058130.png

Saw it advertised on a French tech site. First time... probably ever... that I've been surprised by a graphics card I don't recognize.

It's AMD's new card. Released a week ago. Slots in between the 7900XT and 7800XT performance-wise.

We'll have a review up in a couple of weeks (there are plenty out there. Here's one at TPU).

EDIT: For those who like video...

Last edited:
GRE stands for Golden Rabbit Edition. It was originally available last year in China, and was only going to be released in the Chinese market. 2023 was the Year of the Rabbit in their calendar.
I guess to fill the fairly wide gap between the 7800XT & 7900XT AMD decided to release it worldwide.

Last edited:
GRE stands for Golden Rabbit Edition. It was originally available last year in China, and was only going to be released in the Chinese market. 2023 was the Year of the Rabbit in their calendar.
I guess to fill the fairly wide gap between the 7800XT & 7900XT AMD decided to release it worldwide.
According to TechPowerUp, the 7900 GRE performs 9% better than the 7800 XT at both 1440p and 4K. It is 17% behind the 7900 XT at 1440p and 19% behind the 7900 XT at 4K.

My feeling about this card is about the same as about TDP limited settings for mining/folding for higher models. I mean it uses less power, runs cooler, and is maybe slower, but still fast enough for everything.
It was designed as a cheaper alternative for the Chinese market, but no wonder that other markets were interested too.
Even though the price seems pretty good, I don't know if investing in a higher series graphics card right now is so good idea. I'm not sure when will be the premiere of the next-gen cards, but it seems like quite soon. The GRE seems like a product that fills the gap between models. I don't know the real sales numbers of the RX7700/7800XT, but they don't seem to sell well. 7800XT is like 6800XT after little improvements ... so little that most people don't care and can get the RX6800XT from a sale much cheaper. 7900GRE is something faster and doesn't cost much more. Again, just my quick conclusion about what I see right now.

Should've named it GDE (Golden Dragon Edition) for the states since it was released in 2024..............

Year of the Dragon! Who else is a Dragon? :borg::attn::rock::soda:

Last edited:
Back