• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dell S2740L extended warranty worth it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stealth3si

I had only owned two 27" inch monitors, one Viewsonic VA2702W and this one (Dell 2740L). I never experienced any issues with the Viewsonic while I owned it.

My new Dell monitor came with an 1 year warranty as stated on the retail website where I purchased it.

I've read the positive reviews, but I'm still wondering what is the expected reliability of this particular item (if anyone knows) so I can decide if buying a SquareTrade 3-year warranty is worth an extra $24.49?

If it breaks after the standard warranty period is over will you be able to buy a new one? If you can, don't buy an extended warranty. If you're going to be stuck without a monitor for financial reasons in the event this one fails is the only time you should.

The company has already done the risk mitigation in the pricing, and I'd say at $25 for a three-year warranty it's probably a pretty reliable unit.

I've owned a Dell 2001FP for what's now rapidly approaching a decade and it still works fine with daily use. To be honest though I haven't owned any monitor that has had issues before I upgraded and donated the old ones (every 3 or so years) so it really boils down to what you're comfortable with.

Back