• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

xTreme bottlenecking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Xenohitsu

I got a Radeon 7950 in the mail after waiting a little too long to upgrade, but it was worth the wait. I actually haven't installed it on my intended system yet, because I have a faster CPU that will be installed next week along with Windows 7 first. But I tried in on a REALLY old system, probably the minimum setup capable of accepting it. I was going to post a video of the benchmarks, but they were so underwhelming it wasn't that worth it. Basically I successfully installed a 7950 on a Pentium D dual core 2.8ghz Prescott with PCI-e 1.0 16x. Since I was running Vista, DX11 was compatible and the games that were most GPU dependent did show a significant improvement from my Geforce 9600GT, which was already bottlenecked a little by the old Pentium. The difference on most games was that previously I was able to play games like Lost Planet 2 benchmark on minimum DX9 settings and 800x600 resolution on the 9600gt and get 25fps. On the 7950 I was able to max out the resolution and settings on DX11 and get the same frame rates on 1680x1050, but it would still drop to 8-9fps. On the Lost Planet 1 DX10 benchmark, it was one of the few games that ran at 60fps consistently on max settings, compared to <20fps on the 9600GT so that was impressive as it's very GPU dependent, but it is an older game (the first DX10 demo). 3D mark11 was quite surprising- it ran very well for a real time rendering and managed 25-30fps on some of the benchmarks, except for the 1st and 4th scene, which were under 20fps. RedFaction: Armageddon ran ok- running everything on max but slowing down to less than 10fps. The GPU appears to handle all of the advanced graphics, but the CPU prevents it from running smoother. Next week I'll have a Phenom II 1065t to combine it with, which may have minor bottlenecks, but should be much more capable in running most games much more smoothly above 50fps.

idontunderstandwhatthispostisabout

do you have a question?

Back