• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which sandisk SSD?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The Ultra Plus uses a four channel marvell controller. The Extreme uses a sandforce SF-2281.

The Extreme is a better drive. :thup:

More importantly, the Ultra Plus was just released, so currently its at the highest price it will ever be at... Prices drop quickly on SSDs, so right at release could be considered the worst time to buy. 2 or 3 months and prices drop for the exact same thing.

the ultra plus has less absolute speed, but when the data is incompressable, it will have better performance.
I would say the extreme is the better drive for many, but....
word is the price of the plus will come down quickly. and neither are a bad drive from what I have gathered.

I would stay away from SanDisk. Their products are normally reliable but, when I had a 16GB SD card fail three years into a five year warranty, they kept asking me multiple questions over several emails until the weasels finally found a lame loophole that they used to deny the warranty.

customer service should never be an afterthought either.

I have always had great service from corsiar (also has ssd;s) and gigabyte. they tend to honor their warranties without quim. several others will weasel all they can

I have never had to warranty through sandisk, but have had great luck with their flash drives. so the service junk is very nice to know.

Just remember, one experience does not define a company's customer service record, but I certainly understand how it can sour the person it happened to. :)

Just remember, one experience does not define a company's customer service record, but I certainly understand how it can sour the person it happened to. :)

Considering how hard they worked to find a loophole to deny my claim with, the one experience was plenty.

Ive been running the Extreme 240 for only 5 weeks , but so far its been running flawless .Iam still on the older firmware R201 (just have not got around to updating it as of yet, mostly wanting to do a full backup before I do the update) , but trim and everything else seems to be just fine .One thing I dont care for is their ssd Sandisk toolbox , as its more for information and firmware updating only and lacks any real tool for keeping the drive in peak performance .
The Extreme was a Christmas gift , otherwise my personal preference would have been more towards an Intel drive , specially with Intels attention to detail with thier ssd toolbox that does supply actual tools for keeping the drive up to snuff in performance (and just making life easier in that requard) .
As it stands now though Ive got no regrets having and running the Sandisk Extreme , as Ive mentioned its been flawless thus far and performs just as it should ; but only time will tell on reliabilty , etc . My two cents :) .

Last edited:
Considering how hard they worked to find a loophole to deny my claim with, the one experience was plenty.

Bad experiences suck. There are plenty of them to be had, its almost industry standard. Call Intel for a processor RMA. Running RAM rated for 1.65V? Memory rated for more than 1600MHz? Denied. Pretty much anyone who builds their own system is out of warranty the moment they turn it on, unless they go ultra conservative on the RAM side.

I was initially inclined to purchase a corsair drive (probably a neutron) however I am on a limited budget but need to upgrade my old inferno... The 4k IOPS drives me nuts (yes, that is 4k IOPS 4K aligned).... Plus I'm using it as a cache (my original vector 2 died), but I can hear my HDD spinning up on commonly accessed programs so I'm unsure how well the little guy is coping.

One thing I dont care for is their ssd Sandisk toolbox , as its more for information and firmware updating only and lacks any real tool for keeping the drive in peak performance . ... Intels attention to detail with thier ssd toolbox that does supply actual tools for keeping the drive up to snuff in performance (and just making life easier in that requard) .

I've looked at the Intel toolbox, and I'm not sure what it offers as exclusive features. It refers to TRIM, secure erase and some diagnostic benchmark... Am I missing something outstanding in particular? All of these features can be found in 3rd party programs and TRIM is OS based right?

Last edited:
Back