• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Athlon II dual channel question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stevejr

Hello all...I haven't been here for quite a while, but have a question that I cannot find the proper answer to.

I am putting together a new rig...Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128565

With AMD Athlon II X2 270 AM3 processor.

With 2 x 4 Gb. Kingston DDR3 1333 ram.

Question: the board manual says to put the two sticks in the same colored slots for dual channel; either 1 & 2 or 3 & 4.

But then..( and I'm thinking that this next bit of info is wrong...but need to be sure either way ),...a reviewer on the Newegg site says that if using an Athlon to use slots 1 & 3 ( different color) for DDR2, and slots 2 & 4 for DDR3....because...these cpu's ( Athlon) have dual IMC's and they each use a separate channel.

Have anyone here heard of that? I am thinking that the manual is correct...but I would like to hear from the experts here.

Thanks....

But then..( and I'm thinking that this next bit of info is wrong...but need to be sure either way ),...a reviewer on the Newegg site says that if using an Athlon to use slots 1 & 3 ( different color) for DDR2, and slots 2 & 4 for DDR3....because...these cpu's ( Athlon) have dual IMC's and they each use a separate channel.
Going based on the fact that the board has four DDR3 slots, I would say the information is wrong. DDR2 and DDR3 are keyed differently, meaning that you can't plug a DDR2 into a DDR3 slot and vice versa.

I would follow what the manual says since it was written by the manufacturer.

thideras...thanks much...the info from that reviewer seemed a little weird but I knew I could get correct info here...appreciate it..!!

Back