• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual channel issue?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lIrenicuSl

Hi,

I have problem with a new setup.
I have no idea why but it seems i do not use Dual channel, don't know if i did a mistake with slots or there is some hidden BIOS option in my mobo from ASUS [using Asus 1st time in life ).

Spec:
Ryzen 5800x3D
Asus B550 Gaming A
Patriot 16GB (2x8GB) 4400MHz CL19 Viper Steel (PVS416G440C9K)

Of course, as you can see in attchaments below, i don't even run XMP profile, because i simply can't.
Anything than 2133 Mhz makes the BIOS not to boot, system restarts 3/4 times and it automaticly backs to the default settings.

Bios updated to the latest version

Can someone help me out?

Attachments

• dual.png
    dual.png
    31.4 KB · Views: 14
  • memory.PNG
    memory.PNG
    376.1 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Two parts: one it does look like you're running dual channel.

Secondly, you bought some really fast ram and quite simply it is not 100% guaranteed to work on every system. The ram might work on some but it is down to the mobo and CPU also. Not all combos will work.

You can try turning on XMP, but before rebooting select a lower speed like 4000 and see if that works. Much beyond that is a world of tinkering or just try different ram.

What he said ^^

1. You're in dual channel... see your image (2x64 bit).
2. You're also in the right slots in the image. You can confirm the right slots from the manual as well.
3. Your best bet is return that kit and buy something more appropriate for plug and play. DDR4-3600 with low CL is a great option. Also saves momey over the kit you bought with a miniscule performance difference.
4. Is that RAM kit on your memory QVL? That's a good start. ;)

But yeah, AMD doesn't really run that fast of RAM without significant tweaks. Z590/z690 intel would though.

Hi guys, thanks for the answer I have made some testing and here are results [Probably Asus MOBO broken]

1. I changed the RAM's and went for my OLD G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4, 2x8GB, 3200MHz, CL 15 from Z270 motherboard. they don't work too in XMP profiles, any of them just doesn't boot the PC.

2. I moved the Viper RAM's to z270 motherboard, they run smoothly at both XMP profiles: 4400CL19 and 4133CL17.

I think my Asus mobo seems to be broken, there is another wrid stuff. I have 2xCrucial 500mb in RAID0 confg. Asus don't see them on the list, i don't know if the issue is because it is Intel's version of RAID0 [used on z270 +7700k i7] or because my MOBO just sucks :D

I am thinking of refunding this motherboard and trying to get MSI one, tbh i got a little tired of trying everything and it still does not work properly.

It's possible the mobo is bad, but Im not convinced by your anecdote either, lol. I'm not at all surprised that 4400 memory worked on Intel as they can run a lot faster memory speeds than AMD.

Again, are any of the memory kits you're using on the memory QVL list? While it's not The Gospel, if it's on there, you can expect it to work. If not, it's not guaranteed.

I'd imagine the RAID is broken because it's software RAID from your old Intel system that doesn't carry over to a newer AMD system. Welcome to one of the reasons I don't use software RAID (hardware with a discrete card you can move from PC to PC). Maybe upgrade to a fast M.2 storage device and ditch the R0 SSDs. Simple, and a whole lot faster!!!

It is supported on the Asus website, but don't know why in the AMD 4000 series:

Attachments

• image_2022-11-03_131341812.png
    image_2022-11-03_131341812.png
    18.5 KB · Views: 8
Because the 4000 series is an APU with generally better memory support/can run higher speeds than the 5000 series desktop processor you bought. If it's not on there for YOUR processor then it's either not working or they didn't test it. Since it's on an APU, I have to believe the 5000 series couldn't do it on this board with that kit (there are other 4400 kits), hence why it's not on the list.

IMO, you have three choices with your current board...

1. Return that kit and buy one on the QVL list for your processor at DDR4 4400 speeds (cross your fingers)
2. Return that kit and buy one on the QVL list for your processor at DDR4 3600 speeds (it just works)
3. You could take the time to continue tweaking to 4400 (or less), but again, it's not on the QVL list so that feels like a waste of time to me.

Since the performance difference isn't much I'd opt for #2. That and you can save some money.

I think there is misunderstanding, Two Kits are working fine with their XMP profiles at z270 mobo, and no single of them works on B550 from Asus, i even tried to run 3600Mhz on both kits at Asus, it does not work too.

I understand. :)

What I'M saying is that your board and CPU combo, doesn't play nice with that RAM. JEDEC profiles (2133 where it works) are there for compatibility reasons and why it 'just works' versus the overclocked (for your CPU IMC) memory sticks (XMP is not overclocking the memory).

As was said already, Intel handles faster memory better than AMD does so that is why it works on the Intel system but not your AMD.

I wouldn't bet on the board being bad yet...it's possible though. Worth noting, is that your board could be good, but another board runs the sticks just fine... again, a compatibility thing and why the memory QVL list exists. Is your OTHER kit on the 5000 series memory QVL?

I understand. :)

What I'M saying is that your board and CPU combo, doesn't play nice with that RAM. JEDEC profiles (2133 where it works) are there for compatibility reasons and why it 'just works' versus the overclocked (for your CPU IMC) memory sticks (XMP is not overclocking the memory).

As was said already, Intel handles faster memory better than AMD does so that is why it works on the Intel system but not your AMD.

I wouldn't bet on the board being bad yet...it's possible though. Worth noting, is that your board could be good, but another board runs the sticks just fine... again, a compatibility thing and why the memory QVL list exists. Is your OTHER kit on the 5000 series memory QVL?
It is indeed listed on each of the CPU selection list, i don't know what is going on :D
I ordered another motherboard, and this one will be refunded, if this not help i think i will rage quit from Ryzen and just go for 13600k

1667505076979.png

Ok, the other RAM is... interesting.

So.....................what board did you buy? Is the memory sticks you want to work on that QVL list?

Last edited:
I went for MSI MAG b550 Torpedo, yes it is supported on list, but only at 4133 mhz, still enough for me, i will just lower CL in that case.

Hi,
I am back with new motherboard
everything works fine, picture added as an proof of work :D
1667663438073.png

there is one interesting thing about this and maybe other MSI motherboards:

The core voltage is lower when set to default, i am around 7-10C cooler than before, atm in bios voltage is 0.94V, at Asus was 1.1V+
As we know, you can't OC the 5800x3D, but I don't know how the undervolting works, is it locked or i can manipulate it a little bit?

No things like "boost performance" or other "gaming" options were used with MSI and at Asus.

I think we can close the topic, thank you for help and your time!

Attachments

• 1667663540746.png
    1667663540746.png
    25.4 KB · Views: 3
There was nothing wrong with your asus mobo. You just bought a very "difficult" ram for amd, since that kit is more or less meant for intel chips / overclockers who manually fine tune their ram. It's samsung b-die. Amd recommends 3600/3800mhz as the upper limit.

I have the same mobo, 5800x3d and use the same sticks. I use 4x8gb tho.. their manually overclocked to 3800cl 14 1t gdm off.

You would have to read and learn alot how to change stuff and make it stable to use those correctly.

Edit: as for your picture above, no it doesn't work correctly. Amd has to in 1:1:1 configuration to work properly because of the infinity fabric! Ram speed doesnt matter that much, low latency does.

Last edited:
If you want to keep fooling with it, as noted above, you could improve performance by lowering the ram speed so that it is 3600 or 3800 and the infinity fabric (appears to be listed as uncore in CPUz but will be infinity fabric in BIOS) to match the ram speed. The above post, regarding 1:1:1 is referring to running the memory, memory controller and infinity fabric all at the same speed. Currently the board has set a 2:1 ratio, where the memory is apparently running twice the speed of the fabric and memory controller (based on the uncore in CPU-z, I'm used to using HWiNFO64 so I may be misinterpreting something and the fabric may be at one speed while the memory controller is at another).

It may take a lot of research to set your own timings, but I'm guessing that you could enable XMP to set the timings and then just lower the clocks until you can run all three at the same speed. This will reduce latency overall and should provide a minor performance improvement. The board sets most of the subtiminngs anyway, if it can work at 4200 it should be fine at 3800 or 3600.

Regarding the voltage, every board is going to supply a little differently, you are referring to idle or load temps? At idle it really doesn't matter much, but if you want to get into it, there is a field in HWiNFO64 called "power reporting deviation" whereby motherboard manufacturers fib to the CPU allowing it to draw more power. Ideally lower voltage is better at a given speed, as the boosting behavior is current and thermally limited, so if a particular board or bios setting (i.e. voltage offset) can run a certain clock speed at a lower voltage, then the CPU may boost faster. Of course this really starts to get into the weeds because the software reporting is based on polling at a certain frequency and the CPU does a lot that is not captured by software reporting. Thus any changes must be validated by benchmarks, because people have used voltage offsets, seen higher clocks, but then recorded lower scores on benchmarks.

But all of that can be interesting as a hobby or if you're into competing with yourself or others for fun, but in terms of actual practicality, you can stand to gain real world performance (a few percentage points) by matching the frequency of your memory, memory controller and infinity fabric. Otherwise just run the system and enjoy it.

Back