• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me upgrade from current mobo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cctaylor88

Registered
I have money to burn and would like to upgrade some hardware in my computer.
Current Setup is below:
Ram: g.Skill Ripjaws 8gb
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.2
Motherboard: ASUS M4A87TD/USB3
Power: 600W OCZ
Case: MidTower
GPU: NVIDIA GTX 460

I thought a good place to start would be with my motherboard since this is really the heart of a PC, among other things obviously. Basically I would like a solid "upgrade" of sorts, although I don't exactly know what I'm looking for and that is where you guys come in. Quick example, I've began to OC my CPU and some people warned me that my "VRMs" aren't cooled in my motherboard...so I should look into getting a new mobo. Obviously I would like to stay with AMD, but I don't even know what to look for in terms of "what to look for when purchasing a good mobo." Like if I were to purchase RAM I would personally look for 1600 DDR3...but when it comes to mobo I have no idea.
And yes, I would like to be able to do some over clocking

I am open to all suggestions, and I thank you in advance!

Last edited:
Check out the thread below called 'About VRMs & Mosfets / Motherboard Safety with 125W+ TDP processors'. There's also a table linked in the first post of boards with known issues. It's not every mobo you can buy, but some of the ones you want to avoid are listed.

Newegg has my mobo right now for $100, free shipping. It's not the only choice, but would be a good one. If you're thinking about upgrading your CPU later and/or running 2 GPUs, you'll probably want to look at one of the 990x chipset boards.

Any 990fx board is a great buy. ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 is currently 150$ with a 10$ MIR. Good board, good price. Go to newegg.com and just search for 990fx, they will all show up :)

At this moment in time only the Gigabyte FXA 990 UD3/5/7 are some of the best AMD Motherboards to go with for the FX 6XXX OR 8XXX Series CHIPS! I have just been informed by ssjwizard in another thread that the Asrock EX 3/4 have stability problems with the Bios and VRM's. And is awaiting a Bios up date to hopefully solve this problem. AJ.

So +1 on your first choice OP!

Last edited:
Back