• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

no post, how to ez flash bios ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bladerunneruk

Hi folks, wonder if someone has been in this problem before and can help

I'm finally building my new pc after being ill and not having much spare time, it's 3 years since I built the last one which was a breeze.

Asus M5A99x Evo (not R2) . I've got the mobo on top of the esd bag and cardboard and have attached power supply 24pin lead, cpu, cpu fan, cpu power lead. Also gfx card and linked to monitor, 2x2Gb memory which is on the qualified vendors list.

I get no post at all, no beeps, no cpu fan, no psu fan, with or without gfx card connected. :-/
I do get green light on mobo led for power, so psu and mobo are alive, gfx card is from old pc, so I know it's alive. have checked which dimm slots mem should be in and also tried one stick in A2. silence !

CPU is fx6300. Some googling tells me the bios version is the last 4 digits on the sticker on the mobo = 1208. More googling tells me I need 1604 for this cpu. OK, so I need to update the bios.

How do I do this when I get no post ? I can't see anything on the monitor at all, let alone a bios screen !

Can I use the ez flash option ? Presume I load the 1604 bios onto usb stick (does it need to be fat32?) plug it into a mobo usb port and switch on ?

thanks to anyone who can help an old duffer !

It's possible that you may need an older cpu in order to get in and flash the bios.

Had to do that when the Bulldozer series came out.

Also on a side note, we need more info to better help you, such as brand and s[eed of memory plus spec voltage, type and brand of power supply, ect.

But really sounds like you need a old compatible cpu to even post to flash bios. GL

As above poster said, you'll more than likely need an older CPU so you can update the bios.

Also, I know it sounds dumb, but had a friend forget to plug in the 8 pin connector to the mobo. He couldn't figure out why nothing was working. I kept asking him over and over if everything was plugged in and he kept saying yes. So make sure everything is plugged in right.

thought I'd given the pertinent info, here's the full build in the signature:-

+reuse gfx card and 4 other HDDs

Do I really need an older cpu ?? Sorry, just surprised

There is usually a 4 PIN connector on the board to provide extra power to the motherboard. There is an aux power cable on the power supply that plugs into this connection. Can you confirm this is infact connected up. It will cause a no post situation if it is not plugged in. Just a suggestion in case it's not the bios version.

Since the MB is not a ROG model then you have three choices, use a non FX am3 processor in it and flash the bios to the latest or RMA the MB to ASUS and have them update the bios and last but not least call ASUS and purchase a new bios chip from them and swap it out yourself.

Most often it is my understanding that the outside of an ESD plastic bag like container is a conductor. On the unpainted cardboard is okay or a wooden desktop.
RGone...

update

There is usually a 4 PIN connector on the board to provide extra power to the motherboard. There is an aux power cable on the power supply that plugs into this connection. Can you confirm this is infact connected up. It will cause a no post situation if it is not plugged in. Just a suggestion in case it's not the bios version.

Hi storm chaser
an update :

This time I decided to disconnect all the pwr, reset, power led connectors etc from my old pc case and connect to the new mobo, then I used the power on button on the case to switch on and it gets much further now. (I had earlier tried bridging the power pins at the edge of the mobo using a screwdriver blade and had no response, so had initially discounted this. DOH)

CPU fan, PSU fan, GFX fan all active. Screen displays "M5a99x evo ACPI bios rev 1208, cpu fx6300 six core processor 3500MHz", and "memory 2032Mb DDR 1333, no x usb devices, no y usb devices etc" (just used one stick of memory)

Only problem now is a boot led and a message 'no bootable device is detected, System will enter BIOS setup utility' - presumably because I have no HDD or DVD drive connected from which to load an OS.

So looks like it stands a chance now, thanks for the suggestion !

Q What does the 'BIOS setup utility' take you into ? Is it the same as interrupting a normal boot up to get into bios ? I'll probably have time to try it later this evening or tomorrow.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

next stage of build will be to connect the usb dvd and ssd and load win7 and any mobo drivers. I'm aiming to use ssd for os and as a cache drive for photo edits etc and plug in 4 existing sata hdd in two pairs in raid1 (mirror).

Only further puzzle I (think) I have is choice of ahci or raid on the sata ports for the ssd and the hdd's. Planing to set :-
sata6gb/5 = ssd, (first install on it's own, no other hdds connected, and set the boot priority to dvd then port5 ssd)
sata6gb/1&2 = hdd 1st mirror, change from AHCI to RAID
sata6gb/3&4 = hdd 2nd mirror, change from AHCI to RAID
(ports 1-4 are linked and all have to be ahci or raid from what I read in mobo)
sata6gb/6 = spare
jmicron sata3gb/1&2 spare

I have an ide dvd drive in the old pc which I may be be able to sata-ise and plug in a jmicron port

I still have to break the raid arrays in the old pc and read up more about the trim thing for the ssd which IIRC you only get for ahci

I have a PS2 keyboard and mouse but this mobo only has one ps2 port (grrr), so will need a new one or both !

PS, sorry for the brain dump, sometimes it's useful to write stuff down when you think of it !

Back