• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to partition?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hshah510

Registered
Hi, I just built my first computer, i have a Western Digital 1TB HDD and a Corsair 128GB SSD

I want to install Windows 7 and its programs in the SSD and partition the HDD so i have about 150-200GB of storage space for windows 8 on the SSD and the rest will be used to store movies, media etc..

When i first booted up i installed windows 8 onto the HDD, now i want to reduce the space that windows 8 has to allow space for media and other things when i go to the diskmgmt thing the maximum size i can shrink it to is about 500GB, i dont want so much storage for Windows 8.

Also how do i Move Windows 8 from one partition to another PLEASE PLEASE HELP

THANKSSS

I won't answer your questions directly but rather give you a piece of advice.

Install Windows 8 with ClassicShell on your SSD. The outcome will be basically a Windows 7 experience, but with the ability to go back to Modern UI if you want to experiment with it. Dual-booting two similar OSes usually means one of them will not be used at all, or it will be a pretty messy set-up.

i can shrink it to is about 500GB, i dont want so much storage for Windows 8.
The problem is the data on your partition is not one coherent cluster but it is split over your partition, so you can only reduce the size to what extend your data is written on the partition.
parts.jpg
You can shrink your partition until the yellow line (end of your partition) reaches written data (green).
Also how do i Move Windows 8 from one partition to another PLEASE PLEASE HELP
Reinstalling, no other way.

@txus.palacios
What about dual boot setups? I don't see problems when the OSs are stored of different drives.

@txus.palacios
What about dual boot setups? I don't see problems when the OSs are stored of different drives.

There are no problems at all from a "will it work?" point of view.

The only problem is that with these setups to "test" new systems, we usually tend to ignore the new system and keep using the old one. I remember when my father asked me to install Vista on another partition for him to test it, keeping XP for his daily work. Fast forward to Windows 7 release. I logged on Vista to check if he had any important data there, and found out he didn't even log on it once. Yet, he had a 500GB HDD for Vista.

Win8 is not that bad with Classic Shell, so if you want to try out the Metr... I mean... Modern UI and the apps, might as well replace Win7 completely.

Back