• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Certifications help how to get started etc,

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rogbur22

Im finally in a good spot to get going on something I have put off for years, I want to get my computer cert's going so I can start knocking then out and get to where I want to be,

I figured I may as well start at the bottom and go A+ first and on from there.

Whats the best way to get started from those that have done it ? Is this something I can do mostly online or reading and then take a test somewhere ?

I live an hour from Boston so Im sure I can hook up with something there for testing etc,

Just tryinf to get ideas on start up from those that have come before me :D

Do you have any preference on any topic?

I have 5 certs but all related to computer forensics :)

In my opinion it depends on what you like and what you are most interested in. If you don't do something you enjoy, you will invest a lot of effort to pass the exam and you will forget all that you learned the following day!

You can do both online and live, online will be cheaper but I found out that it's easier when you go to class, specially if you have concentrating issues and myself. For me, being in from of my computer, with the ability of doing the online training and gaming all my beloved games, it's almost impossible to get focused.

Well, I just love to work on computers, I have been working on them since ohh 98 or so. That's when I got an inventory job for a custom builder in FL where I was living at the time. I did that for a few years. I knew nothing when I got there but I was building customer builds in no time after being there a few months. I have been doing it on my own ever since. I would like to be able to work on them again and get paid LOL. I always have 2-3 computers in my house that I am working on for people getting a few bucks here and there. Right now it seems like I do nothing but spend money on computers as I keep buying parts and building more boxes some I sell some I keep, but that's how I scratch the itch at this time. the itch being my desire to work on them.

So my interest is in building, repair, trouble shooting, operating systems, yada yada yada.

Over the years since then I have had opportunities however I feel held back not having the official paperwork that says I know what Im doing. :D I would like to do some training and gain some more knowledge and some title.

Where is the 'similar threads' section that used to be below the quick reply? This is asked quite a bit, and I would take a look around here when you have time.

That said, it depends.

Personally, it seems you want your MCP (Microsoft Certified Professional). That will get your foot in the door to a helpdesk/desktop support type of entry level job.

Where is the 'similar threads' section that used to be below the quick reply? This is asked quite a bit, and I would take a look around here when you have time.

That said, it depends.

Personally, it seems you want your MCP (Microsoft Certified Professional). That will get your foot in the door to a helpdesk/desktop support type of entry level job.

Ok, I will do some poking around here. I was not aware of the similar thread thing either. Im looking and I do not see it yet but I will look for that also, LOL

One more thing, the best way to learn and remember things is when you figure stuff out by yourself. You have a good start, now figure out how long did you wanna get, there are a lot of interesting things other than helpdesk and will provide you more money as well.

One more thing, the best way to learn and remember things is when you figure stuff out by yourself. You have a good start, now figure out how long did you wanna get, there are a lot of interesting things other than helpdesk and will provide you more money as well.

That's how I have learned 99% of my current knowledge since leaving the shop. If I got stuck trouble shooting something I just started researching till I got it.

It's also true that even if you are a genius, without any study records it's really hard to find a shop so you kinda need both!

Back