• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Accelero Twin Turbo cooler - where does the Insulation Tape go?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Pulled right from the pdf...

4. Apply the insulation tape onto the circuit
components in order to prevent short
circuit caused by RAM and VR heatsink
interference.

It seems like it is supposed to be placed between the vram and mosfets/caps which may be what they call "circuit components".

Last edited:
I've highlighted the pic from the manual

Acc.JPG

You want to cover the little exposed metal bits along side the chips so that when the heatsink is installed there's no contact with the metal

The thing is since the cooler is so general it may be hard to discern the layout properly. But it would seen as if they would be placed along side the vram as you mentioned.

Thanks guys.

Here's some pics... Can you please help clarify exactly what's what?

m7aix.jpg

It seems a shame that the size of the cooler which contacts the GPU is smaller than the actual surface of the GPU. I guess this is normal? Or can this lid come off? I didn't attempt as this is where all the TIM was when I took the stock heatsink off.

2lw52ti.jpg

2yw8xad.jpg

I took off this heatsink as the cooler will not fit with it on. Underneath are lots of parts which I don't understand. The heatsink didn't have normal TIM, it had more of a rubber cushion affect, strange.

65bqiq.jpg

2wmqkxx.jpg

The red box denotes the area which the heatsink covered. I need to figure out which small bits need heatsinks and which need insulation. Any help?

It's the little metal pieces between the chips. You have to be absolutey certain they can't short out against the heatsink. Or..............:mad::bang head

AH well, I just said to hell with it and carried on. Here's what I ended up doing:

wvpu90.jpg

The red area is where I put the tape. The blue lines are where I put heatsinks. I missed out the smaller little guys in between as it just didn't add up that heatsinks should go on them. I also stuck a heatsink on that little dude in the far right for good measure.

The second card took me less than 10 minutes to do. Easy when you know how I guess. :D

So, some thoughts...

- I ran some tests using just one GPU and temps were running between 15 and 20c lower when playing games.
- I could only test with one card as my SLi bridge is the solid type, and it no longer fits due to the Accelero casing getting in the way. I will have to find a flexi one. Bugger.
- My Mobo is an ASRock Extreme 4 and I *thought* it had good spacing between the two PCI-E ports. With both Acceleros in position, you can just about fit a piece of paper between the two of them. WAY too close sadly.
- The 2nd graphics card which sits lower down is very close to catching the bottom of the chassis. Looks like a new case is in order.

I decided to get a proper case and went with a Corsair 600T. I also upgraded the PSU to a Corsair HX850. I am really impressed at just how easy both items are to work with. Temps are better and I also used Arctic Silver 5 to reseat the CPU cooler. I put so much TIM on when I originally set up this CPU cooler, it took me ages to get everything clean. I think I spent over an hour cleaning the CPU.

Anyway, here's how things look now. I vast improvement!

fdhmax.jpg

2dslqbo.jpg

Back