• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Any new CPU soon from AMD ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gh0sT-NoVa

As title said, i was just wondering will there be any new CPU releasing from AMD anytime soon ? Since they just recently launched their latest FX-8350...i think it be sometime before they releases another new CPU then ?

I heard Intel be releasing their 4th Generation CPU soon.

One thing I would really like you guys opinion on , how long do you think my
i5 3550 could last before it's time is up (Im using my rig for gaming purpose only)
Since I can't OC my CPU , i think it will run it course pretty fast....but on the other hand , even though this is not the " K " CPU , i must say it's the Top 2 on i5 series , since next ones are the 3570 and 3570K , so this ain't too bad of a CPU if i must say so myself :thup:

But what's your opinion guys ? 1 ? 2 ? 3 Years before my CPU starts showing it's age :shrug:

That is i mean it could no longer catch up with all the new games after those years later.

Most new games base on gfx power, not so much on cpu. Your cpu should be still fine in a year or two but probably not for all games with max gfx details.
I would wait at least a year and later get something like 3770K from ebay.

I don't think that any new AMD worth to buy will be released soon. They are focusing more on mobile series now.

IN a year or two, I wouldnt get a 3770K over his current CPU. There is little difference between the two. 200Mhz to be exact. In two years I would buy Haswell or Broadwell or whatever is out than 3 year tech that would essentially be a negligible upgrade...

Most new games base on gfx power, not so much on cpu. Your cpu should be still fine in a year or two but probably not for all games with max gfx details.
I would wait at least a year and later get something like 3770K from ebay.

I don't think that any new AMD worth to buy will be released soon. They are focusing more on mobile series now.

:( That's sad news on AMD part then. Because I be honest here Im more of an AMD fan :D ( I know people is going to hate me for this :attn: )

Their new FX 8350 does seem powerful , online benchmarking scores etc does seem to beat my i5 3550 , but don't feel like replacing my i5 3550 for it since it's about the same generation CPU.

Reason why im asking will there be any new AMD CPU soon to be release. That is even after release which is powerful enough to last me sometime in gaming world....

Also that im planning to change my current Mobo for a better looking one , so i thought maybe i would just move back to AMD platform if i do so.

Now i have two major worries if I change my Mobo

1) My i5 3550 would not last long till it starts bottlenecking newer generation GPU
2) Since im more of an AMD fan , worry that AMD releases a new CPU which could be worthy of buying for gaming , for one thing AMD is cheaper so being one of my better choices....

Also one plus side for AMD platform is their Mobo are dirt cheap !
A Z77 Sabertooth here cost me around RM 900 - 1000 , while a 990FX it's only RM600+ ! It's a RM300 gap ! Just pretend this are in USD , the gap is 300$ Hell....:shock:

But many claims that even their old generations ( 1st and 2nd generation )
Intel CPU can easily beat the FX 8150 / 8350 in gaming...

Basically is it official that most current or even older ones Intel CPU can easily outlast all the current AMD FX series CPU ?

EDIT : I doubt i will be getting any K series CPU , for that I don't OC , not my thing...also more importantly I don't really know how...also that is an i7 right ? I doub't i can even afford for it...not just the CPU itself is expensive for the Mobo are too.

But what I heard is there isn't much different for an i7 and i5 when comes to gaming , many tends to say Im better off with just i5 how of you will agree on this ?

That is if an i7 can outlast the i5 by extra 2 - 3 years well that could be worth buying is it possible ?

Well, the sabertooth is a gimmicky too expensive for what it is board, I wouldnt buy that board anyway personally.

Something like Asrock Z77 Extreme 6 or mid level Z77 Giga (UP4)....

Well, the sabertooth is a gimmicky too expensive for what it is board, I wouldnt buy that board anyway personally.

Something like Asrock Z77 Extreme 6 or mid level Z77 Giga (UP4)....

On the intel side it may be, I've seen this tossed around a few times now, but for $180 it's a good solid AMD board worthy of the FX8350.:thup:

Ghost Nova, I will give you my experiences comparing my I5-2500k yes I know it's a generation old and my FX 8350.

The Setups
I5-2500k on AIR/Asrock Z77 Extreme 4/ Corsair V @ 1600 cl9
24/7 overclock 4.7, prime stable 2 hours 5.0 highest benched OC 5.3

FX 8350 H2O/Asus CHV/G.Skill @1600 cl9
24/7 OC 4.7 stable 2 hours prime 5.1 highest benched OC 5.4

Now mind you thins isn't a scientific test and not all the parameters were constant. It is just my experience with both the chips which I own. Using the 5850 amd gpu I own in gaming in most cases the 2500k will give me a few FPS more then the 8350. In benchmarks such as 3D Mark Vantage I scored 2-3 fps better with the 2500k @ 4.5 then I did with the 8350 @ 5.2 in the GPU tests. From what I've seen using both of these CPU's if you are looking for every last FPS you can get the Intel is the better buy.

Another thing to consider is cost, I know everyone says AMD is cheaper, but it isn't that much with the following things considered. If you are planning on getting one of the 8XXX series or even the 6XXX and running stock speeds you may be able to get away with a mid range motherboard. From experience I have seen more people come to these forums with a 8xxx or a 6xxx chip and can't figure out why they are having constant problems. Unfortunately these chip require a lot of power from the VRM section of the motherboard. Most of the mid to low end boards can barely supply enough. If overclocking is a consideration then it's high end or nothing. I had my 8350 on a mid/high end board and I couldn't get it past 4.4. Another issue with these chip is the heat load, I have my 2500k @ 4.7 as said above using a Prlomatech Megahalems cooler. I don't think there is a chance I could run my 8350 at that clock with that cooler.

So what am I rambling on about and trying to get to? Here is my point finally :) You will probably see more FPS in gaming with an Intel chip. You probably can spend equal or less on a mother board for an Intel then the Amd if overclocking. My Asrock Extreme 4 cost me $130.00 and it came with 8g of 1600 ram. With that said I still really like my 8350 and in day to day tasks I don't see a difference with either. In tasks that use all 8 "cores" it will pummel the 2500k.

On the intel side it may be, I've seen this tossed around a few times now, but for $180 it's a good solid AMD board worthy of the FX8350.:thup:
Its solid on the Intel side as well, its just for what it is, you can find more/the same for less money. I have seen a few threads here complaining about the sabertooth on the AMD side... not that you cant find threads on any boards like that of course, but I felt I saw an inordinate amount on that board on the AMD side...

Its a reccomended board because of its robust power delivery which the FX Octo's need. That isnt to say you can get the same or more for less too. Its that gimmicky armor crap that gets me. :)

Search this forum for "sabertooth" and check a few of those out.

Hmm...kinda think of it , even though Intel mobo is more expensive compared to AMD.
And both AMD CPU and INTEL CPU are bout the same price ( Comparison with i5 and FX 8000 series , i won't compare it to i7 , for that i7 clearly is above the FX series )

From what you guys says and the comparison...it seems like investing on Intel is a better choice for at the long run it save you more money , for that even an older generation CPU from Intel is able to catch up to their latest...which you had no need to change the CPU and Mobo anytime soon ( That is for the current situation )

But as mentioned above , AMD might not even release new lines of CPU anytime soon , as for my i5 3550 I guess im still able to go strong a year or two.

So i guess changing a new Mobo for my i5 3550 won't be a waste for least some time before I had to go into a new line of CPU series either from AMD / Intel

But has AMD always been weaker compared to INTEL CPU ? But as in by alot...like now ?
How does the Phenom II fare back then , i only recently started to have my own gaming rig so i don't know much what happened back then.

AMD was in the lead with thier A64 series CPUs until the Intel Conroe CPUs came out. SInce then Intel has had the IPC lead.

AMD processors based on Steamroller should (read: might) be there in Q1 or Q2 2014. They will most likely release the new Steamrollers cores in their Kaveri APU first as those parts are now their priority, where they make their money. Steamroller will be an evolutionary part, not revolutionary so don't expect so much more performance compared to current FX parts.

Cheers!

From what i understood reading around the internet every new generation on AMD will bring about 15% performance increase. And there will be maybe 2 more module gens before they abandon K11 (Don't quote me on this).

Barely understands what all the " Technical " terms you guys mentioned lol.....but i guess basically as i said im still good with my i5 for a year or two i guess and wait see later if there's any new poerful AMD CPU which i can move over to then =)

O and Hi " EarthDog " long time no see , didn't recognize you since you changed ur pic

Now..any good looking Mobo to match Black / Blue theme out there for under 166$ on Z77 platform ?? Crossfire / Non, doesn't matter much. Must be ATX Form Factor !

But what's your opinion guys ? 1 ? 2 ? 3 Years before my CPU starts showing it's age :shrug:

That is i mean it could no longer catch up with all the new games after those years later.

You will be fine gaming CPU power has not increased in any significant amount
from sandy bridge to Ivy bridge and I don't expect Haswell to be much better. If you were Encoding then you would get 6 to 10% and another 6% from Haswell from what I have seen.

It's all about cores the more games that utilize cores the better the games.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/288?vs=701

Last edited:
You will be fine gaming CPU power has not increased in any significant amount
from sandy bridge to Ivy bridge and I don't expect Haswell to be much better. If you were Encoding then you would get 6 to 10% and another 6% from Haswell from what I have seen.

It's all about cores the more games that utilize cores the better the games.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/288?vs=701

Uh....noob here lol , what's this Haswell you guys talking about , another new INTEL CPU ? Is it the 4th Generation :confused:

I only know now that the 2nd is Sandy and 3rd is Ivy while FX series i think its called Zambei or something like that....

Haswell is the next chip from intel. It will run on an 1150 platform. (Sandy and Ivy are 1155).

It is due to launch in June of this year.

Haswell Thread

:bang head Omg...reason being why I hate Intel, new CPU , then new Socket....which means need of a new Mobo :cry:

But is this Haswell CPU even meant to be use for mainstream users / gaming ?

I mean like the AMD's APU , well that's more targeted towards budget build or maybe you just want a PC to watch movie and have no need to purchase a GPU , since the GPU in the CPU is rather powerful , i mean something like that.

Its that gimmicky armor crap that gets me. :)

Search this forum for "sabertooth" and check a few of those out.

I'm not normally the argumentative type but the majority of the posts in the AMD section were reccomendations for the Sabretooth.
Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 is a very good board. We have many in the AMD section using one and they don't report issues. So you have to look at what type of user has the issues.
RGone...

Ya and I think the Armour crap was only on the Intel side. I agree with you that for an Intel board they were overpriced and gimicky.

:bang head Omg...reason being why I hate Intel, new CPU , then new Socket....which means need of a new Mobo :cry:

But is this Haswell CPU even meant to be use for mainstream users / gaming ?

Yes. Haswell is the line of CPU's.

Sandy 2500K, Ivy 3570K, Haswell 4670K. Same level of chip across three generations.

Back