• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Raid 10 or Raid 1?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tank Geek

Good day Gentlemen! :salute:

I am looking to upgrade my rig in terms of storage. I was thinking RAID 10 with four 1TB Seagates. Which if I understand right that gives me 2TB of redundant storage. I have this big ole HAF X and one SSD in it. It works fine but I am hungry to build this machine to a higher potential. My problem that I see is I have only two SATA3 ports left on my Mobo. Can I use SATA2 ports on SATA3 HDD's? Or should I just RAID 1 with two 2TB drives. I have heard the bigger HDD's are less reliable so I didn't want to go too big unless you guys think otherwise. Anyway I want a good amount of storage and to have redundancy. Any suggestions? Thanks!:thup:

Speed of the port does not matter. The only requirement is that the ports must be on the RAID controller for it to work.

What you should do is up for debate and it depends heavily on what you are trying to do. RAID will protect you against hardware failures, but isn't a backup. Bigger drives aren't going to have any increased appreciable failure rate compared to their smaller versions. Because of this and the complexity of adding RAID 10 (and using on board RAID), I would suggest RAID 1 if your goal is to protect against a drive dying. If something goes wrong, either a drive dies or the controller dies, you can simply take the hard drive out and put it on any (non-RAID) SATA port and be able to read the data. That is not true for RAID 10.

Speed of the port does not matter. The only requirement is that the ports must be on the RAID controller for it to work.

What you should do is up for debate and it depends heavily on what you are trying to do. RAID will protect you against hardware failures, but isn't a backup. Bigger drives aren't going to have any increased appreciable failure rate compared to their smaller versions. Because of this and the complexity of adding RAID 10 (and using on board RAID), I would suggest RAID 1 if your goal is to protect against a drive dying. If something goes wrong, either a drive dies or the controller dies, you can simply take the hard drive out and put it on any (non-RAID) SATA port and be able to read the data. That is not true for RAID 10.

Thideras, thank you for the quick response. That is sound advice.:salute:
I will run RAID 1, now to just pick out what drives to use.:attn:

It is your thread, you can ask whatever questions you feel necessary. The drive would probably work fine. I don't have any test to out, but I (and my server) would be more than happy to do some tests if you wanted to send me a few. :)

Thanks, there just seems to be a big price range. I will probably get two of those.:comp:

If you don't mind buying used, you should be able to find much better deals.

For just my servers in the past 6 months, I've purchased 22 used drives and not a single one had a problem. As long as they are somewhat new and the seller ships with appropriate packaging, you should be fine.

If you change your email to follow our classifieds rule (ISP/Gov/EDU/Mil), I can give you access. Personally, I'd stick to forums or venues that you know people are likely to be technologically inclined, not just trying to dump faulty hardware on someone.

Can I get an email like that without being in school, working for the government, having an ISP? What is Mil?

Mil is military. From the information I see, the ISP you have offers free email accounts. If you don't have one, you can request to get one setup through them.

Well, thanks for letting me know. I think I will just get them from NewEgg. I don't want any more email accounts plus our Fiber in not in my name and I don't want to hassle with that. Thideras you have been a great help and I much appreciate it.:salute: Maybe if I ever build a Rackmount and need 22 drives I will work on that email account.:cool:

Back