• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Clean Install on Store bought laptop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wipeout

I just finished doing a clean install on on a new HP laptop.This is a quick and painless procedure.NO store bought bloatware, and all the other intrusive bull**** to slow down your pc

1.Write your product key on a piece of paper for reference.

2.Before you start.Get all your drivers, and back up any information you don't want to lose.

3.Call Microsoft, and ask for the link to download the iso pertaining to your operating system.

4.Burn the image file to disc. Use Nero or any program that can burn an iso image.

5.Use the disc you just made, and set your bios to boot off the cd.

**Installing a fresh copy of Windows you can "remove" the system partition it will try to create.

Steps at Disk Partitioning;
1. Delete all current disk partitions
2. Create a new partition (this will create 2 partitions including the system partition)
3. Delete the 2nd partition leaving the System partition
4. Extend the System partition to use the full disk
5. Continue your installation
6.I entered the product key during installation, but still had to call Microsoft to activate.Use legal product key.

6.Enjoy a clean copy of windows now.

Last edited:
You may only be able to enter BIOS if you completely shut down Windows 8 on laptops by taking out the battery or creating a custom shut down link
%windir%\System32\shutdown.exe /s /f /t 0

because Windows 8 does not completely shut down always and you therefore cannot enter BIOS when starting it up.

Then also
BIOS > Security > Secure Boot [Disabled]

BIOS > Advanced > System Configuration > [Enter] > Boot Mode
UEFI for Windows 8
or
CSM for booting off of a boot CD or USB.

This all varies but you get the idea.
If making backups of store bought partitions, when restoring them to blank or new HD, the hard drive must be formatted as GPT.

If opting to just remove laptop bloatware, completely uninstall it. If you just disable it in its options it may still download willy-nilly whatever it wants and install updates it wants, potentially destabilizing a working laptop through non essential and unnecessary updates.

I found this out the hard way when despite everything being disabled, manufacturer software was still downloading needless updates through a very limited internet connection I had on the road. Uninstall is therefore mandatory, not just trusting their options would turn them off. Or of course a complete nuke like the original poster suggested. Laptops may come with non Pro version of Windows 8 and Win8 key can be seen using this freeware http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html which should be run before nuking the laptop.

Last edited:
This still had windows 7 on it.Its a few months old, but got lucky with older stock.My bad.I should of realized all new store bought notebooks ship with windows 8. I prefer to do a clean install vs removing crapware.Not a fan of Windows 8 at all. I guess any new os as a learning curve, but I'm stubborn after using 7.

Now your teaching me...lol.

It's useful to know.

And regarding not being a fan of Win8, if you install Classic Shell freeware and disable Charms than your Windows 8 becomes Windows 7 and when you press the power button then you boot into the same desktop in Windows 8 as you would in Windows 7, therefore there's no reason to skip Windows 8 if you don't mind spending 30 seconds to install Classic Shell.

Back