• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

next upgrade?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

clever1

Registered
ASrock extreme 970
[email protected]
G.Skill 8gb ripsaws
23" 1080p IPS Acer
Powercolor 7970
Corsair TX850w PSU
Corsair H50 cooler

I have a 3x120 radiator... and was thinking about getting a water block for my 7970.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Did you already buy those parts or not, if you haven't buy those parts, i suggest you go with a different PSU, a 850w PSU is overkill {although there're nothing wrong with overkill) a 650w PSU would be ok unless you buy another 7970 in the future and go crossfireX

I'd go with the FX cpu, and the H50 is not much of a cooler, it just is not good at cooling cpu's, it's meant for your lower 65w cpu's. The hyper 212+ out performs the H50, I'd go with H80 or H100 or Hyper 212+ imo

If your rig purpose is gaming, I would keep it as it is if you don't plan on a full MoBo/Cpu upgrade.

Your [email protected] does not bottleneck the GPU.

If you want to spend $300/$400, why not waiting 4 weeks and grab a z87 mobo+Haswell?

Apart for the look/noise, I doubt you get better clocks taking the 7970 under water.

Edited: z87...

Last edited:
Right now, nothing other than a SSD comes to mind as a worthwhile upgrade. Maybe wait until Haswell comes out and pick up a new CPU/motherboard then.

Sorry guys I was in a bit of a rush when I posted this. This is my current set up. As for use, I use it to play games. I like FPS shooters line bf3. Not sure if I will be getting bf4 though.

Well I do have that radiator handy. Maybe get a block for the cpu?

I know for a fact that I will be needing a new computer case.

Finding time to mess around

Last edited:
I'd probably WC the GPU before the CPU, personally. GPUs are typically louder and harder to cool. Plus you'd probably be motherboard limited while OCing if you WC the CPU.

But yeah, definitely SSD first.

thanks for the input guys!
I think I will just get a newer case and if I see a ssd for a decent price I might jump on it. I had one before and it died on me... I really am not sure where it is... all though I do remember it was a 64GB crucial unit.

..and save some cash for z87 and Haswell imo

Back