• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Rig or just OC for now

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hotstreak

New Rig or just OC for now
I'm 50/50 on it so I need some opinions.

Current rig (almost 4 years old):
CPU: i7 860
Memory: 8GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600
Motherboard: Asus P7P55D EVO
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 5850
PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W
SSD: OCZ Vertex 3 120GB
Case: CM Storm Scout

New Rig would be something like this:
CPU: i7 4770k (probably will OC)
Memory: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1866
Motherboard: Asus Maximus Hero
Video Card: GTX 770/780 (maybe another one later to SLI)
PSU: OCZ ZX Series 850W
SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB
Case: CM Storm Trooper

Some factors that are hindering me from making the decision instantly is the fact that DDR4 and SATA express should be coming soon. Most likely with the release of Broadwell at least with SATA express. I don't really want to build a system and a new interface comes out the next year.
Mainly with DDR4 since it suppose to be much faster than DDR3. And no indications of when DDR4 will come out mainstream just that it be release with the Haswell-E architecture. All is speculation that it might also come with Broadwell architecture.

Another thing is I'm not doing much stressful things on my computer now but might try 3D gaming if I do build a new rig.

Would it be better to just wait and or to just OC for now? If OC around what speeds would you guys recommend?

I would just overclock for now and shoot for 3.8-4.0 GHz.:cool::popcorn:

Purchase a new video card now like HD 7970 and try some games now.

If you haven't OCed the 860, you should. That + a new GPU should do pretty well in any modern game. 4.0GHz should be doable with a nice aftermarket cooler. Anything that fits LGA1155 will also fit your board, 1155 and 1156 have the same mounting holes.

DDR4 being faster doesn't do much...DDR3 is already way faster than necessary in current machines.

And again, with SATA Express you'd need a bleeding edge tech SSD to take advantage of it, and if a SSD is maxing out the SATAIII bandwidth, I doubt you'd be able to tell the difference in everyday usage.

I guess im going to OC route, any ideas what the temps will be compared to stock with a decent air cooler? estimate one the degrees increase, 10 degrees C?

Back