• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Time for a Bluray Burner

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dja2k

I am going to buy my first Bluray burner EVER :chair:. Being there are a lot of different brands ranging from LiteOn to Asus (re-bagged Liteon) to LG to Pioneer etc. I would really appreciate some help in picking one that is already known for good burns and reliable. Also to rip bluray movies, will the burner do fine or I would have to buy a separate bluray reader? Any input and suggestions are helpful, thanks.

dja2k

Honestly you can't really go wrong. This will suit your needs perfectly (Plus it's $65 AR right now:) ).

A burner will play and burn.

IMO the most important thing is to get a drive that comes with playback software. Otherwise you'll find yourself spending more on software than you did on the drive. I have an older LG BR that has been fine.

Also make sure you get a fairly new drive that will get firmware updates from the manufacturer.

That Asus drive is fairly old and probably won't have many firmware updates anymore and I also see it doesn't have BDXL if that is important for future purposes. There is an LG for $59 and a newer Asus for $99. Also I know the burner will play Blurays too, I was asking about ripping purposes. I see some of them are 8X Bluray Rom only and newer ones are 12X.

The new Asus looks pretty good spec wise, but only 6 good reviews so far.

dja2k

Last edited:
That Asus drive is fairly old and probably won't have many firmware updates anymore and I also see it doesn't have BDXL if that is important for future purposes. There is an LG for $59 and a newer Asus for $99. Also I know the burner will play Blurays too, I was asking about ripping purposes. I see some of them are 8X Bluray Rom only and newer ones are 12X.

The new Asus looks pretty good spec wise, but only 6 good reviews so far.

dja2k

Another vote for LG. I don't even bother with newegg reviews, most of the people on there are technical morons.

I've got an LG burner, has served me well so far.

So another +1 to LG!

IMO the most important thing is to get a drive that comes with playback software. Otherwise you'll find yourself spending more on software than you did on the drive. I have an older LG BR that has been fine.
VLC can play Blurays.

I think as long as the DRM software is installed, VLC will play the BluRay itself.

I'll throw another vote in for the LG drive. Ripped a ton of discs with no problems thus far. As far as playing them straight from VLC, not sure. I usually just use makemkv to rip them and then play them from the actual files

I missed the Newegg sale for the LG drive @ $59, but I will get it when I see it on sale again. Thanks!

dja2k

Back