• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A85X mainboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

oc_192

Dear community,

I am planning on upgrading my aging desktop :clap: (X2 4800+, AMD 780G, HD3850, 2GB DDR R800).

Hence I would like to go for an A10 6800k plus some A85X mainboard.

I want to hook the setup to 2 x 4GB DDR 2400 modules.
My experience with my current 780G based mainboard is not all that positive, the north bridge hits crazy temperatures (up to over 100°C). Its has a tiny heat sink (I had to direct a fan at it and open the casing while gaming).

My question is, A85X does not natively support DDR 2400 and would require some overclocking.
This would probably lead to a higher amount of heat generation right ?

I've seen a number of some neat A85X mainboards online, but not all of them have somewhat large heat sinks (see MSI FM2-A85XA-G65 for instance).

Any comments or suggestions are welcomed.

chill,

p.s. I do plan to do some overclocking of the APU.

Asrock A85 Extreme6

Sadly despite after trying out many brands/models of FM2 mobos, only the Asrock A85 Extreme6 has good superlative GPU overclocking/monitoring ability. Took the internal GPU of both my 5800K and 6800K over 1GHz easily.

Thank you for your replies.

I've settled for Asus F2A85-V (non-pro) + A10 6800k + G.Skill Sniper (2x4GB @ 2133 MHz CL9).
I am very satisfied with the setup at the moment.
I was worried a bit that the processor was not supported and I won't be able to update the BIOS, turned out its pretty easy to update the BIOS to a newer version as its accessible once the computer starts.

Back