• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Troubleshooting a new PC build.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tacticalpete44

Not exactly sure if this is the best spot for this thread, but since someone on a different thread said that my problem may be CPU based, I put it here.

I built my first gaming computer this past week with the help of a friend. I am encountering some issues that he can't seem to fix, however.

First, build specs: AMD A10 6800K 41.GHz quad core CPU, 2x 8GB DDR3 1866 Ballistix RAM, an ASRock FM2 A85X Extreme 6 motherboard, a Gigabyte HD 7970 3gig Gddr5 Windforce graphics card, a WD 1TB HDD, and a corsair 1050 Professional modular power supply, all in a NZXT Phantom 630 full tower and running windows 7 home premium 64 bit.

My monitor is a 27 inch Acer running at 1920 x 1080. The monitor is connected via HDMI to the vid card.

I have tried to make sure every component has fully up-to-date drivers installed.

The problem: Battlefield 3 (and bioshock infinite), if run on ultra, get HORRIBLE framerate*.

Last night I was actually playing Bioshock Infinite and running it on High and if there were any enemies, the games frame rate dropped considerably, making it impossible to aim or anything.

Anyways, I'm not sure how to proceed... so any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Pete

*as for frame rate: I'll have some numbers on those tonight, after work.

The A10 6800 and 5800 are about equal to a FX-4100/4300 CPU.
On some games this might be fine, on some you need more, at least an FX 6300/6350 or better.

Its either as said a problem with APU (you sure the game is running on the 7970 or APU?)

Or the CPU bottlenecking the card. But that wouldent make the fps horrible but just low.

For it to be so horrible that he can't even aim then we're talking frame rates in the sub 20's (remember that the xbox 360 is frame rate locked at 30). Even an FX-4300/A10 paired with a 7970 (very unbalanced imho) shouldn't drop THAT low. Are you sure that you disabled the IGP? (the gpu onboard the apu) That would definitely cause some problems.

Back